How can we improve Power BI?

Custom order for legend in stacked bar chart

I should be able to order the "legend" and the values for each legend category in a stacked bar chart. This is similar to "series order" feature in Excel

435 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Krishna Sankar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be handy. There are workarounds, like creating measures for each segment and adding them individually to the chart. But that is just plain ugly.

• Ray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to easily sort stacks by values inside a column while maintaining order specified on X axis.

• Lars Johannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be a priority if Power BI really wants to be an option for dashboarding or any application people have to share with management or an audience outside of data crunchers.

• Rob Oesch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we wait for this feature, has anyone figured a workaround? Other than changing the labels of course.

• J commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes orely needed i have three criteria labelled W, W- and W+ the W needs to be in the middle!

• Stuart Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Power BI team - this is very basic missing functionality!

We need to be able to stack Revenue in a given week, but we want the recognised revenue at the bottom and forecast at the top.

• BG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a legend order matching the stacked bars value is a charting 101 issue. It has been Excel for decades. Please add this basic feature ASAP.

Thanks...

• ML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why isn't this a thing yet? incredibly frustrating to have to come up with work-arounds for something so basic!

• Zac Tolfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I also agree that this future is needed. The legend on a particular visual of mine is displaying the days of the week and due to the legend automatically ordering alphabetically, the days of the week are in the wrong order!

• sosi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i found something, there are 3 dots in the top right corner of the chart, here you can change the order of the bars.

• Moose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...so it's been over a year and MSFT still doesn't have a custom sort feature?

• Jade Doherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@N1c0l3 - thanks your workaround solution did the trick - but yes agree this should be a standard feature to allow custom sorting

• N1c0l3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quick workaround: since it's sorted alphabetically, rename the data to have some number of spaces before it. "__legend1" "_legend2" "legend3" will sort as desired. Legend displayed at top of page strips preceding spaces, but the desired sort is achieved!

• Liz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone have a quick workaround for this? Custom sort is a feature that is absolutely needed.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.