How can we improve Power BI?

Custom order for legend in stacked bar chart

I should be able to order the "legend" and the values for each legend category in a stacked bar chart. This is similar to "series order" feature in Excel

267 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Krishna SankarKrishna Sankar shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BGBG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a legend order matching the stacked bars value is a charting 101 issue. It has been Excel for decades. Please add this basic feature ASAP.

Thanks...

• MLML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why isn't this a thing yet? incredibly frustrating to have to come up with work-arounds for something so basic!

• Zac TolfreyZac Tolfrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I also agree that this future is needed. The legend on a particular visual of mine is displaying the days of the week and due to the legend automatically ordering alphabetically, the days of the week are in the wrong order!

• sosisosi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i found something, there are 3 dots in the top right corner of the chart, here you can change the order of the bars.

• MooseMoose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...so it's been over a year and MSFT still doesn't have a custom sort feature?

• Jade DohertyJade Doherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@N1c0l3 - thanks your workaround solution did the trick - but yes agree this should be a standard feature to allow custom sorting

• N1c0l3N1c0l3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quick workaround: since it's sorted alphabetically, rename the data to have some number of spaces before it. "__legend1" "_legend2" "legend3" will sort as desired. Legend displayed at top of page strips preceding spaces, but the desired sort is achieved!

• LizLiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone have a quick workaround for this? Custom sort is a feature that is absolutely needed.

• DCSDCS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried to solve this issue by creating a table with Legend elements in a column and another column, and then ordering elements in Legend by other column, but I defined that column in terms of the Legend column (CALCULATE, ALLEXCEPT AND SUM), so Power BI refused to change the Sort (thus avoiding some sort of loop). Having this feature would definitely make it easier.

• ElliotPElliotP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% agreed. Allows you to avoid having to create a date workout for custom date hierarchy structures.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes custom sort order is absolutely essential! For instance I have categories Research, Analyze, Develop which should display in that order.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. Ordered alphabetically sometimes does not make much sense. It'll be appreciated if the order of the column/row label of table or matrix could be customised as well, just like Excel does.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.