How can we improve Power BI?

field of "duration" type

is it possible to add support for "duration" data type in the report view as in Power Query?

736 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniel wu shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

116 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this to allow Y-axis charting. Many departments that rely on time based reporting such as Average Handle Time, wrap, breaks etc. Could benefit internally from this.

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHAT. Here I am bashing my head against a wall thinking I'm doing something wrong... nope... Power BI is just really backwards and doesn't have a simple data type like Duration, so I can't easily visualise call durations in our call report... maybe I should've just built this in Excel!

• Anton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also missing this feature trying to calculate application usage for users...

There's no way to format a duration field in the report. It just comes as a fixed decimal number, which is useless.
    Please solve it!

• Rashmi Ravi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do provide this feature asap as this is much needed feature on Power BI and there are more number of voters.

• Clint commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A real disappointment this function doesn't exist on PowerBI. Been Battling with this for days now....although we wouldn't be able to show how much time on a visual......

• Joshua Manning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had to tell a potential customer at our organization's call center that we would not be able to meet his reporting needs because our data analytics platform did not support aggregating call times in visualizations. They were disappointed, to say the least, and so was I. This is a vitally important feature for so many service lines. I urge the Power BI dev team to put this idea on their priority list.

• Chris99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is anyone from the Power BI team going to comment on this? How many of your users have a requirement to plot durations on a chart?

• Guillaume Morin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is preventing us from properly using Power BI for our Dashboard. I will need to stick with other BI until this is properly fixed. I don't understand how this isn't fixed after all this time

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually a *really* common request from my clients, especially Call Centres.

It simply comes down to being able to format Duration as HH:mm:ss and then have the "HH" portion go over 24 hours, e.g., 25:59:59. Add this simple feature and you will open up Power BI to a few more markets.

• Luis Simões commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is actually a feature request by the business all the time.

I really hope this is added soon because not being able to create charts based on durations and actually showing the duration in a proper format is looked as a pretty basic feature and that most competitors have.

Thanks

• Simon Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's the point of having Duration in Query editor and not Report view? What corporate on the planet doesn't want to track call-time data or processing times?

this is probably the most important addition that we have been waiting for for AGES.....

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.