How can we improve Power BI?

Power BI Designer and PowerShell better together

Are there any plans for Power BI Designer "better together" with PowerShell? I would be able to "Get Data -> PowerShell" where I would point designer to a PS script. Designer would execute PS script and resulting tables (one or more) would be loaded into data model.

I understand I can do it today via CSV files but that requires some additional steps (and creation of CSV files) compared to what I have in mind.

319 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sasa Juratovic shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good example is a file with server drive sizes eg
    Drive_Letter,Size,Used_Space. This can be easily extracted using powershell into a CSV file. It would be to be able to run this script directly from Powerbi into a query.

Cheers

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this very badly. This is currently the best way for me to collect GitHub data that isn't supported via the GitHub connector.

• Chrissy LeMaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When you begin to move forward with PowerShell support, please consider the community feedback on the Trello board at:

https://sqlps.io/powerbi

Rob Sewell and others have proposed some PowerShell commands and ordered them for convenience and ease of understanding. A similar board has been working well for the primary SqlServer module.

• tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh please yes... Anything to help the automation process...

• Raf Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Run PowerShell queries to return objects which can be imported into Power BI. Really useful for gathering admin information and presenting in a visual format.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The REST API should be provided as Powershell cmdlets. At the same time you implement a new API call a correspondong cmdlet should be implemented

• Achin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Sasa, I think what you have highlighted is needed to programatically take control of features of Power BI. It will be great if you can give brief description of solution by csv files.

• Kurt Falde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Create and publish a Powershell Module that makes it easy for IT Pros to encapsulate data sources they already have onsite and upload them via the Power BI REST API

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.