How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,528 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category for your ideas. Have an idea for a feature you’d like to see in a future release of Power BI Report Server? Submit it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server.

Thanks!

345 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sunil Kadimdiwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the June-2017 release happens, I really hope that this will still be called SQL Server (SSRS) 2016. If there is any change to this, all our plans to use this feature will go into a tailspin, becoz then it is another long winded process of getting a new version approved internally.

• dmnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank your for your prompt response Riccardo. That cleared things up for me Thanks!

• wmel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to integrate Dashboards into Reporting Services and Creating Dashboards via Power BI Desktop ?

• AdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dmnc, thanks for asking. Probably just a terminology issue. Power BI uses the term "dashboard" to refer to a specific feature in the Power BI service that enables you to "pin" or collect visuals from various Power BI reports, Excel workbooks, or even web content, on a "dashboard" for monitoring. You can't create these dashboards in Power BI Desktop, so they're outside the scope of what we're integrating into Reporting Services.

Power BI uses the term "report" to describe the file you create in Power BI Desktop, so we're enabling you to view Power BI *reports* in Reporting Services. Now, you might look at a particular Power BI report and say, "That's a dashboard!" -- it's a bunch of visuals on a screen -- and in that more general sense of the term, absolutely, you can view "dashboard-style" Power BI reports in Reporting Services.

• dmnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are currently considering Power BI as a Reporting/Dash boarding tool option. However I find Henk Kroese comment concerning, I was under the impression that power BI desktop was used to create reports and dashboards and that previously these reports and dashboards could only be deployed to the cloud. I thought that the subject of this discussion was enabling said reporting that is created with power BI desktop to be deployed to SSRS on premise, so that all users can view and interact with these reports or dash boards through their web browser just like normal SSRS reports without having to have a copy of power BI desktop installed on their machine. Henk Kroese says dashboards on premise is missing? Why would it be missing either you can or can't deploy power bi desktop generated files to SSRS, weather it's a dashboard or a detailed report what does it matter? Are there separate components being talked about here? I guess I want to confirm if the changes being made with a view to be able to deploy any power BI desktop files too SSRS on premise so that all these files can be viewed through the browser, not the power BI desktop client tool. thanks in advance for the clarification.

• SP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is a great step forward, it is a little too late. Our company was ready to be all in with an MS Analytics offering, and we use SSIS , SSRS, and SSAS daily. But the part that has been lacking is the need for a good dashboard capability. We have been trying to hold off others for Power BI to come on premise, but with the announcement that it is not going to come in any form for SQL Server 2016 and even at that, will not have the dashboard hosting capability.. we have lost the battle. We are currently upgrading to SQL Server 2016, as we are a large corporation and upgrades don't happen over night. Tableau now has a strong hold and continues to grow. While I have used Power BI for testing out a few things, and find it much easier to use than Tableau, it is too late.
    While making capabilities available in the cloud is faster, easier.. I think it leaves a lot of big companies out because they can not put their data in the cloud, and in the end MS will not be the tool of choice because we are forced to use other products because the functionality is not available on prem. It is a shame.

• Henk Kroese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the new preview the progress on this topic is nice. But still i am missing something (important): dashboards on premise!

Why give us a cake without the strawberries and cream?

Just make the complete Power BI Service installable on premise. Instead of cutting it into pieces and make it more and more complex.

The Cloud is an option but not a necessity!

• Mimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@koen, assume I have ssas 2012, now Microsoft will release this new SSRS, if it is a standalone, with a reasonable pricing, then sweet we can use it with the existing SSAS, otherwise another battle with IT to upgrade the whole thing ?

• Ian Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excellent. Question; will there be another technical preview or release prior to the actual production release ?

• Mimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Riccardo

that's fantastic, Please tell me, we will have the possibility to buy SSRS as a standalone product, so it can support current SSAS installation ? is it something that you may consider.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous... I work for an organization where hosting data in the cloud is simply not possible. Unfortunately our senior executive in charge of BI technology bought into the MS sales pitch two years ago with the promise that there would be an on-premise solution by now. Therefore I am forced to use Powerview and SSRS which are very weak offerings. Thank goodness that my team has become proficient in Python and R because Shiny and Plotly provide much better visualization solutions for the premises.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any Word on technical Preview Release in January. We would really like to get some on premise demo's going to generate some excitement about Power BI release in the summer. Is January release still on the table?

Thanks for the hard work on this one guys, this is a huge step forward for Microsoft BI adoption for non cloud able organizations(More than you would think).

• Tom McMaster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like to be able to use Power BI for our business but our data contains a lot of personal information. Some of this is private too so uploading to the Cloud isn't an option. I have given this three votes but only because I'm not allowed to give it 50 :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.