How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,528 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category for your ideas. Have an idea for a feature you’d like to see in a future release of Power BI Report Server? Submit it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server.

Thanks!

345 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Dustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti can you please answer a few questions?

Is this the new preview? Looks like it - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55253

So we are still limited to a "live" connection to SSAS. Why wasnt SQL, Excel, Oracle, or any other type of connection included with this preview? From what I've heard the GA for "Report Server" will be released end of Q2 (June 30th). When this is released to GA, the only connection we can use is SSAS?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So what I'm learning is that literally the worst possible position to be in for cost effective Power BI use is to be a smaller company that because of industry regulations has to keep data and reporting on premise. Under the new Power BI Premium model, we would have to either pay thousands per month for a Power BI on premise server, or would have to have the top tier SQL Enterprise license with Software Assurance? This is extremely debilitating. Really hoping MS has a solution. It feels like punishment for being regulated to on premise as there is no cost effective solution for deploying on premise. How does this affect posting pbix files in SSRS?

@Robbie.

If you have SQL Server Software Assurance Licenses, the Report Server will come with the VNext SQL version and I'm guessing it will only be an enterprise level feature. The big question that still has not be answered by MS is the the license model based on the user and the role they will have. Example, does a report publisher need a pro license to publish to the on prem PBI instance? Does a consumer/ability to export data need a pro license? I really hope thats not the case. We should be getting another preview in coming days.

• Srinath Pedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Ojas Maru, I was testing this version in our VM, it seems they have removed the Download option for Power BI Desktop from the reports Dashboard. When the download arrow is clicked in the dashboard, it lists tools to download, in this CTP the Power BI Desktop is disabled. This could be the indication, the Power BI Hosting can be a different application or different interface as mentioned by @Dustin below using the new "Report Server" component.

• Ojas Maru commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi @RiccardoMuti,

I have installed the latest CTP of SSRS 2017. We have tried saving PBIX file on SSRS. However when we try to run them it does not seem to run in the browser, instead it prompts to download the pbix file. This used to work in previous version of SSRS 2017 (vNext)

Other thing we have noticed with PBID for SSRS that it only works when SSRS is configured in native windows authentication mode. If we change the windows authentication to forms or custom authentication then PBID for SSRS does not seem to like it. Do you know if this would be supported in PBID for SSRS?

Thanks...

Thanks @Dustin for the report Server news. We had installed our Reporting server in native mode and we didn't face any problem in uninstalling the server component. Our future plan is to build a new environment and republish the content from the current Preview version to the new environment.

Weird part is registration link doesn't work in Edge browser and the presenter has disabled the comments on the thread. Typical short sightedness on that part of the author.

@RiccardoMuti

How does the announcement of PowerBI premium impact the work MS has been putting in for an OnPremise solution. Will this "Report Server" be the option people use now? I know there is a webinar on May11 th, but I'd like to know more about the road map for OnPremise hosting. Seems like things are changing month to month and its hard to sell one idea to the business then have it change.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/microsoft-accelerates-modern-bi-adoption-with-power-bi-premium/

@RiccardoMuti, thanks for the update about the patch. When installing and uninstalling are there special steps we need to take? Before MS released the patch to fix the license issue I had attempted to do this, but kept getting an error and it wouldn't completely remove. Since it wouldn't remove it I couldn't install it again. Had to rebuild the VM's. Also, with this next version, I am hoping you will include some instructions on how to upgrade the existing CTP to the new one.

• AdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Gavin, make sure you've configured the web portal URL, web service URL, and report server database in Reporting Services Configuration Manager. If the error persists, check the report server trace log for more error details.

• AdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mapko, that configuration step is necessary only to enable the "hybrid cloud" feature where users can pin RDL report visuals to their dashboards in the Power BI cloud service; it's not necessary to enable viewing of Power BI reports stored in the report server. Now that we have these two "Power BI" features, we've clarified the wording in our upcoming preview.

Sorry about all the trouble with the preview expiration (and the patch that didn't quite work). We really appreciate your patience being early adopters and helping us sort out issues like this during preview, before GA.

Here's what we know about the bug:
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling the preview can reset expiration, but the issue tends to recur.
    - The bug is related to the length of the computer name, and the issue may not occur if you install on a computer whose name is exactly 9 characters long (strange, I know).

I wish we had a more reliable solution in the interim, but know that we're working hard to release another preview later this month.

• Gavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Power BI Team

I an getting an error. How can i configure to work?
    The service is not available.
    The report server isn’t configured properly. Contact your system administrator to resolve the issue. System administrators: Check the report server trace log for details.

Learn more

• Mapko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. How can I complete the Power BI Integration setup steps within the SQL Sever 2016 Reporting Services Configuration Manager for a fully on-prem installation? Not using Azure AD nor will in the future. What account shall I use to complete this integration? Local sys admin account?

@RiccardoMuti - After installing the patch, I am not able to publish reports to the web application. I will include all log files and send them to the requested email address. Subject Line PBISSAS2016 Error Logs REF: Riccardo Muti

@Riccardo Muti - I have sent the error log dump file. It is about 1 MB in size. The subject of the email is: SQL Server 2016 Preview error log Ref: Riccardo Muti

• Peter Larsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have been testing the preview and it is working great. During my tests with the latest release of Power BI Desktop i have noticed that my imported theme is removed when i upload the .pbix file to Reporting Service. Will the final release of the Power BI enabled Reporting Services support themes in Power BI files?

I was reviewing our logs, our system is in fact generating 180MB files every minute. This is just plain crazy....

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.