How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,525 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category for your ideas. Have an idea for a feature you’d like to see in a future release of Power BI Report Server? Submit it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server.

Thanks!

345 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are comparing SSRS, Power BI, Tableau, and others. Would love to use Power BI but need it free of Sharepoint. We have lots of SQL server on prem and are very concerned about connecting our data to the cloud.

• Ameet K commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would like PowerBI on- premises as well, especially considering that its decoupled now from SharePoint. Also because of this we can update the on-premises set-up more frequently as I assume it will be easier.
    90% of our BI solutions work on-premises and its not possible to move all data to cloud. This is our only answer to QlikView and Tableau's of the world which have a great on-premises story.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi
    yes , we want use power BI on our servers like SSRS!
    data of every company or organization is its most important finance.
    we will never use cloud systems for our data.
    thanks

• Teo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Will, given that Power BI is now decoupled from SharePoint and 99% of the customers have on-prem SQL Server, what technical barriers prevent us to host Power BI under IIS on prem?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Appreciate the comment Will but I find it incredible how Microsoft can develop potentially great BI solution and only open it up to cloud base customers. Effectively you ignoring 90% of your customers. I guess we would need to look at QlikView as alternative.

1 2 14 15 16 18 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.