How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,525 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category for your ideas. Have an idea for a feature you’d like to see in a future release of Power BI Report Server? Submit it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server.

Thanks!

345 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jerry Cote commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Excel is solid for onprem BI, and if you stick to using PowerView for reports you want to eventually show online, you'll have that option to move them up, as soon as MS gets its act together on the Personal BI Gateway, which is out there but failing on basic installation procedures as of today and not ready for prime time.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so if it is the idea to decouple power bi from SharePoint on-prem what is the pendant for it on-prem?

• Gorm Braarvig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like this, but as a virtual "appliance" (Hyper-V/nano image(s) with the necessary bits on)

• Alejandro Leguizamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my 2 cents on the conversation : 1) I asbolutely believe Microsoft can do parallel cloud efforts while simultaneously providing On-Premise answers to long demanded and currently very dissatisfied customers due to Corporate BI product neglect for more than 3 releases. A proof of Microsoft´s capability is how the Windows team is doing it: Fast rhythms in dev with quick results on builds. Actully , the BI team is already doing it with Power BI Designer, proving they are committed to get things done right this time. 2) As for SharePoint, there is no functional parity at all. And one of the issues on adoption of SharePoint as part of BI has been the dependency on such a complex product for something that should be completely separate and simple -That is why Reporting Services is so pervasive- : It is simple yet powerfull, able to be installed on its own and with powerfull management capabilities.

• Daniel S Sutton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the process of trying to push this product as a viable tool for adoption as our experiences with it so far place it well ahead of Tableau. This feature would certainly aid in building a business case

• Tim Rodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally think that this would defeat the whole purpose of PowerBI.com. SharePoint is the on-premise option.

• Paul Turley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I'm reading these comments, I'm curious about a couple of things. Microsoft is able to deliver great stuff like Power BI faster because they're building it in the cloud first and there are huge hurdles to move an entire platform solution and support it on-prem. I trust that they will get it there but it takes time. In the interim, the major components of Power BI (namely Power Pivot and Power View) do integrate with SharePoint on-prem. It's not a stellar solution, I agree, but I'm curious to know why Power Pivot, Power View and Excel in SharePoint isn't working for you. The competitors mentioned have large teams of developers focused on creating one product and they must offset that cost with premium prices (have you priced Qlik and Tableau?). Could Microsoft really approach this any other way?

This is one of the top 10 ideas for Power BI... Yet it's the only one that's been ignored by Power BI team.... It would be great if there was some comments for On-Prem

• ronald.koster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps Microsoft wants us to use Tableau ?
    Many companies just don´t allow data to be stored in the cloud.

• Murtalad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a huge requirement for on-prem. We're a gambling company and are not allowed to host data in the cloud. We'd love to have an on-prem PowerBI installation so that we could roll out great reports to the business but alas, we can't. and I'm sad!

• ben.jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to me that Azure VM with SQL database is also treated as "on premise" with regards to Power BI as I cannot connect similarly to Azure SQL. It would be nice to attach to a SQL Server database on an Azure Windows VM.

• Ninad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are working as solution provider, and many of the potential customers have concerns on having cloud based solution, due to strict requirement to host all data within a countries borders. On-Prem version would help wining these potential clients which are getting inclined towards Qlikview, Tableau etc.

• Darin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work with a large oil and gas servicing company. We have strict policies on taking sensitive data off premise. Adding the capability for on-premise hosting would make this solution a "no brainer".

Even I agree with this idea. if there is a flexibility to decide if user wants, to host it on-premise would be pretty awesome

• Andrew Badke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a strict requirement to host all data within Canadian borders. Unfortunately there isn't any Canadian based Azure data centers so for this product to be viable for us we will require an on-premise hosting solution (or a canadian data center)

• Luis Higueros commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow for SSAS connector to connect to SSAS HTTPS pump - this will allow for being able to work with on premise hosting which normally leverages dynamic security and not role based security in cubes/models.

• Christian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On-Premise is dead in a couple of years.
    Many of our clients have already moved to the cloud. And almost everybody is asking for the cloud.

Please, don't spend time developing something for OnPrem.

Cloud/Online is the future.

Only one of our clients can use the cloud to store data, but they won't. I fear we will lose most of our clients if no amazing developments happen in on-prem SQL Server over the next 12 months. So many competitors, and even the new entrants provide fully functional on-premise editions! We trust in Microsoft, but some of us are getting cold feet and fear we will need to change our technology stack in order to stay in the market, or keep our jobs.

• David Mogadati commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do a lot of SSRS, SSAS work for our clients. We want to take them to next level with Power BI. They all like every implementations to be on premise. So we are currently not able to offer Power BI.

• Alejandro Leguizamo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed: Power Bi , of On Premise, will definitely unlock many scenarios, and will help defend the MS stack in accounts currently under attack from Qlik and Tableau.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.