How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,583 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadavsandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

With Power BI Report Server now generally available (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/report-server/), we’re marking this idea completed. I want to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for participating in this community over the past few months and taking time out of your busy days to try the previews and share your feedback; I can’t overemphasize how much we appreciate it and how much it contributes to the product.

In case you missed it, check out our recent blog post, “A closer look at Power BI Report Server” (https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/).

While the June 2017 release supports Power BI reports that connect “live” to Analysis Services, we’re hard at work on integrating the Power Query/M-language and Analysis Services/DAX engines to unlock direct connectivity to the other Power BI Desktop data sources, targeted for later this (calendar) year.

We’ve now created a “Report Server” category for your ideas. Have an idea for a feature you’d like to see in a future release of Power BI Report Server? Submit it here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/category/207604-report-server.

Thanks!

349 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • dmncdmnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Asif I looked into this and on premises is included if you have enterprise edition with maintenance ( I assume that is what you are talking about). That is my understanding of it. It would be absurd to expect people to dish out money for on premise BI when they are already paying maintenance for on -premise sql server enterprise edition.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100 users with Qliksense (Approx.): 120.000 + 24.000 annual

100 users with PowerBi (Approx.): 60.000 annual

After three years it's more cheap Qlik. Chapeau Microsoft.

• BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This pricing model is garbage. Power BI (on-prem) is great, but it's not worth 5k a month--that's more than we pay for the entire SQL Data Platform. Tableau should be thanking you for all the new business headed their way.

• ClaytonClayton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this is considered complete. There is no option to pay for just Power BI Report Server. Report Server only works with relational databases currently (all of my data is via API or MongoDB using a MySQL connector) and with the new pricing model, Power BI is now more expensive than it's competitors. I can't share reports with a team unless they pay for Power BI Pro or pay 5k/node/month for a service that I will never use in order to get Power BI Report Server. I voted for this idea because it would have solved a problem for my team and allowed us to further invest in Power BI. Instead, we have received more problems, your solution only addresses a focused audience and my company will likely seek out a competitor to keep costs down. The way this was "completed" is extremely disappointing.

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying the June preview release and there appears to be an error in the system requirements at the download page https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55329

The supported operating systems states "Windows 10 , Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2"

However the installation of PowerBIReportServer.exe on a up-to-date Windows 7 64-bit system fails with the message "This application is only supported on 64-bit Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 10 or higher."

• AsifAsif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would the licensing work in scenarios where, we get SQL server enterprise edition through SPLA licensing model?

Yes, we'd stick to that amount of users. I see your point though. If i wanted to scale in my scenario it would be more expensive. My point is, that I'd prefer power bi over tableau, but due to the current pricing Model I'm forced to switch to a competitor.

• DustinDustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in that scenario yes, that is cheaper if you go with those number of users. Do you expect that Tableau would stay this small over a period of time, say a year? 1k a person just to view reports is very expensive.

@Dustin...well the Server is about 10k + 2k for a publisher of reports and stuff and 1k for each viewer...this as onetime investment. So this is about 15k.

As we just need 1 publisher (2k onetime and 400 maintenance) and 3 viewers (which cost 1k onetime + 200USD maintenance) we'd have maintenance cost of 1k a year. Tell me how this is double the cost?!

Just an FYI. Tableau has many different options in ways you can purchase their software, by core or by user. To build a stable/high performance environment, you will spend almost double what MS is asking. Also, that is just for the server software. Desktop software licenses cost more as well

Well for the "just onprem" version we would have to buy SQL 2016 Enterprise + SA...as I have to buy it for 4 cores it's an investment of more than 37k and after 2 years I have to pay for SA 12k again. I guess I am forced to switch to tableau then. No way I can sell this to my CEO.

If you already pay for SA, you dont need Premium. Premium is a hybrid approach for having dedicated servers in the cloud and also having the ability to use an on prem version as well. For SQL SA, you can just install Report Server from the SQL installer. The one gotcha now is, no matter if you use Premium or SQL SA, all your report publishers will need a "Pro" license to publish. Consumers can have a "Free" license, but if they want to export data or save to PowerPoint they will need a "Pro" license (From what I've been hearing)

@Srinath Pedi thx for your evaluation :)
        For the just on-prem version I need SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance
        AND Power BI Premium?

• Srinath PediSrinath Pedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was struggle for me to discover the new version of the SQL Server Reporting Server (Power BI Desktop). The reason was they have not only renamed the product to Power BI Report Server (Power BI Desktop) but also threw the Power BI Premium at the same time in the product mix. Earlier there were two products; on-perm and cloud; that got expanded to three products; on-perm; mixed (on-perm and cloud) called the Power BI Premium; and cloud only.

On-perm version still exists; it is called "Power BI Report Server". It still requires the SQL Server Enterprise Edition with Software Assurance to work. As mentioned before, this will be available starting next version of SQL 2016.

The following are the resources for this version.

The blog that announces this product.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/05/17/a-closer-look-at-power-bi-report-server/

The link to download the client and server version of the software.
        https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55253

Documentation related to this version.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/reportserver-get-started/

Hope this helps somebody like me who was completely lost in the marketing spin from Microsoft product team.

Enjoy

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pricing is prohibitive for on primise. I have been waiting for a cost effective on-premise solution. Decided a few months to go with Qlik Sense and they have a better pricing structure and a good product.

@RiccardoMuti

+1 what Mimoune Djouallah and Dustin posted!

I won't be able to push an Investment like this just for Power BI

• Mimoune DjouallahMimoune Djouallah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti,

we understand, why we need software assurance, as the product will be in constant update, that make perfect sense, but seriously, Enterprise edition, it is very expensive, and my company will never migrate from Standard just for PowerBI, specially now as most of features are the same in the SQL Engine.

I know it is not up to you, but we need PowerBI for the masses not an expensive corporate BI solution, very unfortunate situation.

@RiccardoMuti can you please answer a few questions?

Is this the new preview? Looks like it - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55253

So we are still limited to a "live" connection to SSAS. Why wasnt SQL, Excel, Oracle, or any other type of connection included with this preview? From what I've heard the GA for "Report Server" will be released end of Q2 (June 30th). When this is released to GA, the only connection we can use is SSAS?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.