How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,556 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadavsandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

You can now try the January 2017 Technical Preview: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-january-2017-technical-preview-now-available/.

Also:
    - We plan to release a production-ready version in the next SQL Server release wave. (As previously clarified, we won’t be releasing it in a Service Pack, Cumulative Update, or other form of update for SSRS 2016.)
    - We’re targeting availability in mid-2017 for the production-ready version.
    - A few more FAQs in this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/12/16/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-feedback-on-the-technical-preview/.

319 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GavinGavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Power BI Team

I an getting an error. How can i configure to work?
        The service is not available.
        The report server isn’t configured properly. Contact your system administrator to resolve the issue. System administrators: Check the report server trace log for details.

Learn more

• MapkoMapko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. How can I complete the Power BI Integration setup steps within the SQL Sever 2016 Reporting Services Configuration Manager for a fully on-prem installation? Not using Azure AD nor will in the future. What account shall I use to complete this integration? Local sys admin account?

• DustinDustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti - After installing the patch, I am not able to publish reports to the web application. I will include all log files and send them to the requested email address. Subject Line PBISSAS2016 Error Logs REF: Riccardo Muti

• Srinath PediSrinath Pedi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Riccardo Muti - I have sent the error log dump file. It is about 1 MB in size. The subject of the email is: SQL Server 2016 Preview error log Ref: Riccardo Muti

• Peter LarsenPeter Larsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I have been testing the preview and it is working great. During my tests with the latest release of Power BI Desktop i have noticed that my imported theme is removed when i upload the .pbix file to Reporting Service. Will the final release of the Power BI enabled Reporting Services support themes in Power BI files?

I was reviewing our logs, our system is in fact generating 180MB files every minute. This is just plain crazy....

Just create a PowerShell script with the following code and create a task scheduler job to run a few times during the day while MS figures out why this changed.

del C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\RSServer\LogFiles\*.* /s /q

@Srinath Pedi,

Yes, I just applied the patch yesterday and my C drive is now full. Our dump files were about 172 MB every couple of minutes.

@RiccardoMuti - After installing the suggested patch. The reporting server is generating huge dump files. We had over 90 GB of dump files within 3-4 days. The reporting server has couple of reports that were rarely used.

Did anybody else saw similar files on their test server? The files were created at

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services\RSServer\LogFiles

• DeonDeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti - reiterating @Ryan's question... Can we get an update on the CTP eval
        expiration? It expired after about 5 weeks and we are unable to proceed with our proof of concept.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti - appreciate all the updates. We installed the CTP on 2/13/17, and yesterday we started getting an error "The evaluation period for this instance of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services has expired. A license is now required." Is the CTP not 180 days? Any way to extend? Thanks!

• dcbdcb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too, am very interested to know if we'll have to pay for PowerBI licenses for a *total* on-premise solution with frequent updates of datasets. We're already a microsoft shop with SQL Server Std., Sharepoint, SSRS. So, will we have any additional or increased costs if we want to display dashboard-looking PowerBI reports in SSRS and/or SharePoint?

Does this release only need to purchase the license for SSRS 2016 but not need for Power BI Desktop ?

• AndyKM.WongAndyKM.Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Few Questions for Power BI Desktop with SSRS 2016 for On Premises Hosting :
        1. Does this release applicable to all version of SSRS 2016 ?
        2. Does this release only need to purchase the license for SSRS 2016 but not need for Power BI Desktop ?
        3. Purpose of this release for Power BI Desktop is user self served the reporting but administration & hosting keep in SSRS 2016 ?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.