How can we improve Power BI?

PowerBI reports and dashboard on-premise hosting

As per available documentation, power bi reports and dashboards will be published to microsoft cloud. It is very awesome approach as it saves all overhead of maintaining infrastructure. But there are case where on-premise hosting is required, Can we configure on-premise server to host power bi reports just like SSRS reports?

2,491 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

sandeep yadavsandeep yadav shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

Hi everyone,

You can now try the January 2017 Technical Preview: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2017/01/17/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-january-2017-technical-preview-now-available/.

Also:
    - We plan to release a production-ready version in the next SQL Server release wave. (As previously clarified, we won’t be releasing it in a Service Pack, Cumulative Update, or other form of update for SSRS 2016.)
    - We’re targeting availability in mid-2017 for the production-ready version.
    - A few more FAQs in this blog post: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/12/16/power-bi-reports-in-sql-server-reporting-services-feedback-on-the-technical-preview/.

309 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • DeonDeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti - reiterating @Ryan's question... Can we get an update on the CTP eval
        expiration? It expired after about 5 weeks and we are unable to proceed with our proof of concept.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@RiccardoMuti - appreciate all the updates. We installed the CTP on 2/13/17, and yesterday we started getting an error "The evaluation period for this instance of Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services has expired. A license is now required." Is the CTP not 180 days? Any way to extend? Thanks!

• dcbdcb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too, am very interested to know if we'll have to pay for PowerBI licenses for a *total* on-premise solution with frequent updates of datasets. We're already a microsoft shop with SQL Server Std., Sharepoint, SSRS. So, will we have any additional or increased costs if we want to display dashboard-looking PowerBI reports in SSRS and/or SharePoint?

Does this release only need to purchase the license for SSRS 2016 but not need for Power BI Desktop ?

• AndyKM.WongAndyKM.Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Few Questions for Power BI Desktop with SSRS 2016 for On Premises Hosting :
        1. Does this release applicable to all version of SSRS 2016 ?
        2. Does this release only need to purchase the license for SSRS 2016 but not need for Power BI Desktop ?
        3. Purpose of this release for Power BI Desktop is user self served the reporting but administration & hosting keep in SSRS 2016 ?

• Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@dmnc, you do need to store and manage the reports in Reporting Services, not in SharePoint. Then, if you like, you can embed reports into SharePoint and other apps -- for example, using a Page Viewer web part and the rs:Embed=true URL parameter.

• dmncdmnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK so I just tried the technical preview, I created a power BI report then I go to deploy it (Save as....) at that point I think it wants to deploy to reporting services, as in the version that ships out of the box with SQL Server. However, we and I imagine a lot of other people use share point, I believe (I may be wrong though) that to have both on the same server is not wise. With that in mind, is it possible to deploy directly to the share point site in the same manner as we do with our reporting services reports? thank you.

• Matthew HoustonMatthew Houston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this is going to be a stand alone with vNext, will it require a separate license for those of us already paying for 2016. Would software assurance cover this?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a great feature, Can we use Power BI in SSRS to embed with on-premise SharePoint 2016 web parts similar to paginated reports?

• Sunil KadimdiwanSunil Kadimdiwan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When the June-2017 release happens, I really hope that this will still be called SQL Server (SSRS) 2016. If there is any change to this, all our plans to use this feature will go into a tailspin, becoz then it is another long winded process of getting a new version approved internally.

• dmncdmnc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank your for your prompt response Riccardo. That cleared things up for me Thanks!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.