Timeline Slicer (For date, month, quarter, year)
Ability to have date/month/quarter/year slicer automatically created from date field (just like what Excel does with Timeline slicer) would be really good.
I was able to download and use the timeline slicer in the tool. But I really couldn`t figure out the way to use it correctly. What dataset and field I should bring in to be able view actual work in MS Project for a certain time frame?
Does this Timeline Slicker work with DirectQuery or only from an imported data source (in particular Azure SQL)?
how can i add the drop down menu to select (year\month\week) like in the timeline slicer tutorial? in my version it doesnt appear as dropdown menu but like buttons
nishtha sharma commented
I updated my power BI and I am unable to do any work on this,, Only one message is coming for all visuals ,, " couldn't retrieve the data for this visual, please try again later.
Pedro Innecco commented
I find the slicer to be quite clunky. A few pointers can be found here but here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Timeline-visual/m-p/9464#M3927
But here is the main gist:
* The visual is quite clunky as a filter selection resets to default after clicking on more than one chart. For example I select year 2015 then click on a bar of a chart. So far so good. If I click on another bar of this or another chart, the timeline slicer resets to default. I understand this is by design due to the way that Power BI visuals work, but it is quite inconvenient for users.
* The slicer is way to big (in height). I compare it with the slicer in Excel and I see no reason as to why there is so much fixed blank space at the top of it.
* We shoul be able to configure the position of the hierarchy dropdown (select for Y, Q, M, D), header, etc.
* Not being able to use custom date hierarchies is also a big downer. I might want to add Week Number into my date slicer and remove Quarters, for example.
* We should be able to specify the default start date. I would be great if we could specify the current data for example, or some sort of dax calculation to specify the current year, month, etc.
* Drill-down is clunky. When we select a period (e.g. a year) and then drills down to quarter or month, it the visual should zoom into the start of the period, but it shows the begining of the time dimension instead. For example I have a time dimension that goes from 2012 to 2030. If I select year 2017 and then drill down to quarters, the view starts from quarters in year 2012. I have to actually scroll to 2017 in order to see the selection.
* The slicer is quite slow to respond, particularly when dealing with days. It also says that it does not show all the data due to "too many values". Quite a lame limitation since this works fine with Excel slicers. As a workaround, we should be allowed to add a filter into the slicer (e.g. only 10 years).
Not working for me! gives an error "cant read properly 'currentGranularity' of undefined"
venkata surya sunil commented
hi .. how to put timeline as per company Financial year
Seems like this doesn't work with the current version of Power BI.
Does not work with the latest version of Power BI
Can you make it an option to have financial year as an option within the date hierarchy?
This timeline slicer is great, but i randomly lost the ability to span several periods with the :clam. How did this happen. Thanks.
I could use the timeline slicer in the report but when i am publishing it the dashboard it does not show the slicer?
1. Be able to select certain periods but for different years (ex. Q1 and Q2 of 2015 and Q1 and Q2 of 2014).
2. Trailing Twelve Month aggregation (same as above - be able to select TTM (trailing twelve month) ended September 2015 and TTM ended Sept 2014.
3. Be able to trend by aggregate period (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, , Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 ) Or (TTM ended Sept 2015, TTM Ended Sept 2014, TTM Ended Sept 2013, etc)
Is there a limitation to how many, months and Days etc that the timeline can show? I'm connecting from a MD cube and it won't show all the years - when I do narrow down the years and select a date I get this error message Error Message:
Data Shape Query translation failed with error code: 'InvalidFilterConditionIncompatibleDataType'. Check the report server logs for more information.
Invocation Stack Trace:
Mon Nov 30 2015 09:38:12 GMT+0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Great job, but I've seen one buc, if you select for example q1 year 2011, it only shows values till the 30/03/2011, so the values you've got in the 31/03/2011 doesn´t appear,
could you solve this problem and publish a new version
thanks so much
Téva Delar commented
A option to select 2 time periods (using the CTRL button for example) would be useful to compare the results of the selected periods.
Great slicer! The only thing I am missing is the option to filter on weeks. Is it possible to add this feature to the slicer? It would be valuable in my situation. Thanks in advance
David E commented
This is now available as a custom visual in the Gallery: https://app.powerbi.com/visuals
I built a table in excel with a column for dates (click drag to fill for the date range) and then added columns for months (=TEXT(A2, "MMMM")), year (=TEXT(A2, "yyyy")), and Quarters (=RIGHT(YEAR(A2),4) & "-" &"Q" & INT((MONTH(A2)-1)/3)+1), and then added the table to BI linking the date fields. This way you can added slicers for Month, Years, quarters. A work around until the feature is built into Power BI.