How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,841 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

248 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cameron Fuller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ‘download’ capability should be designed to include any PBIX content in the portal, not just content authored in the Desktop first. As an example, we have data from Microsoft OMS which his only available in the web version of Power BI so therefore any reports or dashboards created for those cannot be downloaded.

• Anitha Thugu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The progress on this is good news! Like some of the others already commented couple of critical features for this would be
    1) Ability to disable the .pbix export
    2) Ability to download reports published before this feature got introduced
    3) Ability to download reports created on the service

I Agree with Jarkko Suominen

• Jarkko Suominen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The progress on this is good news! Like some of the others already commented couple of critical features for this would be
    1) Ability to disable the .pbix export
    2) Ability to download reports published before this feature got introduced
    3) Ability to download reports created on the service

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news! I have been waiting for this.
    Is it possible to download dashboards as well? Main reason I ask at this time is I enjoy some of the Quick Insights available when the data is on the Web. Is there a way to take these quick insights an apply to or download them to the Desktop?

• jot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft.

In some scenarios this is a very need feature. However, as an ISV providing standard Power BI solutions to the market I am concerned about this feature.

Could you please outline how you will protect ISV solutions - that is - in which scenarios can a Power BI user, Power BI admin and Power BI CSP partner export a Power BI solution.

You are very welcome to contact me to discuss this further.

Thanks
    /Jens Ole

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great new!!! Love it. Add save report/dataset feature for online services like quickbooks, saleforce, google analyitics etc. please.

• Raymond Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally, local .pbix file can be in-sync with the uploaded .pbix in the cloud. Thank you!

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just seen this has been created. Downloading published files, after Nov 24th, is all well and good but what about downloading files published before this date?

• Navin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most wanted feature for power bi reports developer.Now this feature only supports to the reports which are recently published and wt abt the reports which are published earlier.There might be cases that needs to be changed the data source.Hope microsoft will develop nd wil get enable this feature to all power bi reports.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems this option is only available to reports published in the last few days and only for reports authored in Power BI Desktop. Additionally, when you download the report it downloads the entire data model and all the data too. Please tell me this is still a work in progress

• Nemat Ruzmetov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I made some changes in my report via Power BI service. When I go back to Power BI desktop these changes doesn't effect. I have tried to download .pbix file from Power Bi services but popup "Unable to export to Power BI Desktop (.pbix) format" massege. :(

• Rusty Ruhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had an employee leave the company and took the designer files with him.... ugh. Having the admin be able to download ANY published report shared or not is a must have.

Update Please

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.