How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,875 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

238 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just seen this has been created. Downloading published files, after Nov 24th, is all well and good but what about downloading files published before this date?

• Navin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most wanted feature for power bi reports developer.Now this feature only supports to the reports which are recently published and wt abt the reports which are published earlier.There might be cases that needs to be changed the data source.Hope microsoft will develop nd wil get enable this feature to all power bi reports.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems this option is only available to reports published in the last few days and only for reports authored in Power BI Desktop. Additionally, when you download the report it downloads the entire data model and all the data too. Please tell me this is still a work in progress

• Nemat Ruzmetov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I made some changes in my report via Power BI service. When I go back to Power BI desktop these changes doesn't effect. I have tried to download .pbix file from Power Bi services but popup "Unable to export to Power BI Desktop (.pbix) format" massege. :(

• Rusty Ruhl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had an employee leave the company and took the designer files with him.... ugh. Having the admin be able to download ANY published report shared or not is a must have.

Update Please

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need this feature. Seems pretty crazy it's not a feature that's already there.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have spent 2 weeks building a model in the cloud and now it appears that I need to amend one of the tables slightly. There is not table view on the cloud and I cannot get the model back onto my desktop.

Somebody grab me some tissues please.

COME ON MICROSOFT.... seriously.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The post was Apr 2015 and this is still not available? I agree with Michael and everyone else, this is a critical update? Please take this more serious and implement this essential update.
        I made the mistake of creating a dashboard from the Online Service thinking I would be able to take it to the Desktop service after. Until this is fix, note to self, start on the Desktop then publish.

This is a must feature for us immediately as we have developed lot of reports in service and we have to change the connection for it. Changing the connection in service is not yet available and has lesser votes that this.

We see that this was started on May 13 2016 but still there is no update. Please provide us an update when this will be available.

Thanks in advance.

The functionality to publish reports from Power BI Desktop to Power BI Online and still being able to continue editing in both tools whereat the other tool also receives the changes is absolutely needed. When will it be available?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.