How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,875 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

238 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this need. I published, then somehow pbix file became corrupted and could not be recovered. Now I'm left re-doing the file to edit locally as I do almost all editing on the desktop application. There needs to be a sync / push / export version to pbix file.

• Fergus Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pbix should be the same as the uploaded version - it should not have any instance specifc guids (like reporting services adds)

• Shane Grimes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment you can Publish changes to a report made in Desktop to the webapp, but there is no way to pull changes made via the web app back into Desktop. It would be nice to make this a 2 way street.

• Sarah Woolley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need to be able to get the changes made online onto the desktop app. This would very much aid better use of this tool.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% needed facility... I made all the changes online and wanted to download a local copy but couldn't do that... ugghhh.... Please help us here..

• Paul C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Round trip capability between PowerBI.com and a desktop app PBIX file would be very valuable

• Soheil Bakhshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a good idea if we can download the reports from Power BI website as a pbix file in our local machines.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Dynamics Online Connector is a great start. However, with the inability to modify the .pbix file to include custom entities it is worthless. Please provide the .pbix file so users can customize to meet their needs.

• Julie Koesmarno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed because this is a way of backing up the report design and configuration. Charts can get removed because users no longer have access to the data source, and there is no backup / source control mechanism.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical need. If you inherit a project and don't have the PBIX file, being able to export it from the PowerBI site is a must.

• Suman Bhagavathula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also looking for the ability to download Dashboards/Reports authored in the PBI web to a local .pibx file that can be modified in the PBI desktop

• Vikas Pulpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also wanted the ability to download it as an excel file if we created the reports using excel

• Douglas Morrow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is it possible to run incremental data into specific cells transitioning with a hot key and call it a cell library like a drop down but the quantity is never set but rather keeps changing to show comparative results (long arrays).

Additionally, create the ability to have sub cells below a cell for added functions, this could make the total number of rows and cells much smaller but just as powerful.

I have other suggestions

1 2 8 9 10 12 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.