How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,884 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack BenderJack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

234 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tony SellarsTony Sellars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important feature with respect to transferring user constructed reports to a more structured officially supported (and source controlled) format.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without this, team development is nearly impossible limiting a lot of enterprises from being able to use it.

• Jim CantwellJim Cantwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I figured this would be a basic feature. Now I find myself redoing edits in desktop version. PMs should have had this on their radar very early on.

• James LovegroveJames Lovegrove commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shouldn't all changes be made in the Desktop and then published to app.powerbi.com? - Why can't users adapt to this?

• Bjoern SjutBjoern Sjut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's also another reason: If we push in data via the PowerBI REST API, we can't really model it with DAX, as we can't get it out to PowerBI desktop

• SamSam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a supported feature in PowerPivot wherein a business analyst could put together a data model based on their (better) understanding of their data. They'd then pass it on to IT team so that they could perf tune, enhance and support the original data model by extracting it as a Tabular Cube using Visual Studio. Even though we have made forward progress in terms the whole PowerBI offering (desktop app, cloud service, mobile), we are still going backwards w.r.t the IT-specific feature set. It's unbelievable!

• Venkataraman RVenkataraman R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

being able to extract powerbi dashboard as pbix will help us to carry forward the work from another machine, if required and in case the original pbix file is lost.

• Joe WilliamsJoe Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with this need. I published, then somehow pbix file became corrupted and could not be recovered. Now I'm left re-doing the file to edit locally as I do almost all editing on the desktop application. There needs to be a sync / push / export version to pbix file.

• Fergus AllanFergus Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The pbix should be the same as the uploaded version - it should not have any instance specifc guids (like reporting services adds)

• Shane GrimesShane Grimes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment you can Publish changes to a report made in Desktop to the webapp, but there is no way to pull changes made via the web app back into Desktop. It would be nice to make this a 2 way street.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.