How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,839 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

248 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very much needed! I have an infinite looping error pop up in my PBIX file that has rendered my file useless... That was 2 months worth of work!
    The last published version of my report is in PowerBI Online, which does not contain what ever I introduced to break my PBIX file - if I could export that I would be back to where I was before I had the error ;(

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very useful feature and also make sure that Android users don't first have to go to desktop version before changes show on Mobile would be ideal especially when you could have 50 or so dashboards.

• Scott Futryk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is essential as the "publish path" only up to the Power BI service is causing "sync issues" as people make changes - Please start this!

• ThomasDay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a great framework for this idea. I had put an idea in to be able to connect to .pbix files as a data source--a subset of this whole idea--but this is better and more refined on what's needed. Well done Marco.

It is important functionality, I'd agree.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this functionality be added. The inability to do so makes the program not worth working with.

• LPopovic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is major upgrade Microsoft needs to do:
    Saving reports in Power BI Desktop needs to have following possibilities: Save Dataset and/or Report in separate files. So, you can later publish either DATASET or Report separately. This way we can write multiply reports on the same Dataset. That will create possibility to have reports with less tabs and only one DATASET for multiply reports. This will also create less problems in maintaining DAX functions within only one DATASET and automatic refreshing will be much easier.
    Above solution will create opportunity to download reports created in Power BI Web sites to desktop. Before Power BI Desktop writer became as good as it is now many users created reports on Power BI Web platform and now are left in limbo without possibility to bring those report to desktop Power BI writer.
    This will also give Power BI users possibility to use reports offline if there is no viable internet connection as well.

• Garin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some current comments from Microsoft would be great, this is almost a break it deal for using the product

• Garin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

seriously, when are you going to fix this issue.. I just got everyone hyped up for powerbi and now I'm retracting a ton of what I said

• data analyst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

an option to download in addition to the option to delete that's already present on the manage personal storage screen would be most welcome

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this is badly needed. If you don't happen to save the .pbix locally before publishing, you're out of luck if you need to modify/update. I'm having to recreate a very complex report because I can't access the pbix file.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.