How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

4,726 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jack BenderJack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Shane GrimesShane Grimes shared a merged idea: Export PowerBI.COM to Power BI Desktop  ·   · 
    Marco Russo (test account)Marco Russo (test account) shared a merged idea: Export Power BI report in a PBIX file  ·   · 

We just announced a preview of downloading PBIX files that have been published to the web. You will be able to download any report that was published from the Power BI Desktop from this point forward. We are continuing to make improvements here and plan to support downloading more types of reports, including content packs.

For more info on the preview feature, check out the blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-preview-of-download-power-bi-desktop-files-from-the-web/

We’ll update this thread as we make improvements to the download functionality.

199 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris.BailissChris.Bailiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the moment it is too easy to destroy potentially months of work in a couple of clicks. Consider:
        1) I create a new PBIX file with report A.
        2) I publish the above PBIX to the online service.
        3) New reports are created in the online service (reports B, C, D, E, etc).

At present there is no easy way to backup reports created in the online service. If the data set is accidentally deleted in the online service, then all of the reports created directly in the online service are lost.

As a backup approach (or version history), I can download any of reports A to E individually, but not altogether.

Those individual PBIX files cannot be combined. They cannot easily be republished, since the entire model gets republished (and every downloaded PBIX has a separate copy of the model, which could be from different stages of development).

The PBIX download should include all reports linked to the current data set being used in the online service.

• Luc van de PlasLuc van de Plas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Last year I was able to download a pbix-file from the cloud. When I tried to download the same pbix-file, I was not able to click on the download option in the cloud. This option is greyed out. Is it a known problem, or is it disabled with a reason?

• PadmajaPadmaja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Team,

We had the reports published from Power BI desktop, but still we could not see the download option greyed out.
        Could you please advise on is there any other setting which make this option work.

Thanks

• jeromejerome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant export a pbix report, if the report is connected to an SSAS server. this action should be possible. In my case I'm connected to an SQL 2016 tabular server, so it must be possible to export the pbix file directly connected to my SSAS server.

• AnnieAnnie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see a lot of comments worried about the ability to turn this feature on and off. From my testing, it looks like you are only able to download the pbix of a published report if you have edit permissions. You only have edit permissions on a report in two circumstances: you are the owner of the report (the one who published it), or somebody else published a report to a shared group workspace of which you are a member. If somebody only shares a report with you, you cannot edit it. You also cannot edit reports that have been posted as a content pack to your group or organization. This is only a preview feature for now, but I hope it stays around!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that I can't download data from the cloud side of things in Power BI Desktop or am I missing something here?

It is critical that the administrator of the power bi reports has the ability to turn this feature on or off, by report. I am sharing certain reports that I do not want to provide the user the underlying data, and I definitely don't want them downloading the entire report! Sharing was the one way to limit the user access to the underlying tables, queries, and computations. I am disturbed that this upgrade was rolled out without such an option, as now my data is not protected!

• Cameron FullerCameron Fuller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ‘download’ capability should be designed to include any PBIX content in the portal, not just content authored in the Desktop first. As an example, we have data from Microsoft OMS which his only available in the web version of Power BI so therefore any reports or dashboards created for those cannot be downloaded.

• Anitha ThuguAnitha Thugu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The progress on this is good news! Like some of the others already commented couple of critical features for this would be
        1) Ability to disable the .pbix export
        2) Ability to download reports published before this feature got introduced
        3) Ability to download reports created on the service

I Agree with Jarkko Suominen

• Jarkko SuominenJarkko Suominen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The progress on this is good news! Like some of the others already commented couple of critical features for this would be
        1) Ability to disable the .pbix export
        2) Ability to download reports published before this feature got introduced
        3) Ability to download reports created on the service

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great news! I have been waiting for this.
        Is it possible to download dashboards as well? Main reason I ask at this time is I enjoy some of the Quick Insights available when the data is on the Web. Is there a way to take these quick insights an apply to or download them to the Desktop?

• jotjot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Microsoft.

In some scenarios this is a very need feature. However, as an ISV providing standard Power BI solutions to the market I am concerned about this feature.

Could you please outline how you will protect ISV solutions - that is - in which scenarios can a Power BI user, Power BI admin and Power BI CSP partner export a Power BI solution.

You are very welcome to contact me to discuss this further.

Thanks
        /Jens Ole

Great new!!! Love it. Add save report/dataset feature for online services like quickbooks, saleforce, google analyitics etc. please.

• DeanDean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just seen this has been created. Downloading published files, after Nov 24th, is all well and good but what about downloading files published before this date?

• NavinNavin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the most wanted feature for power bi reports developer.Now this feature only supports to the reports which are recently published and wt abt the reports which are published earlier.There might be cases that needs to be changed the data source.Hope microsoft will develop nd wil get enable this feature to all power bi reports.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.