How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,883 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack BenderJack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

238 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eric SobczynskiEric Sobczynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get working on this enhancement request. I'm spending way too much rewriting reports because of the limitation. We try to download reports to move to different workspaces. Can't move between workspaces...try downloading copy and republish...oh can't do that either. Please PowerBi create usable features so IT can manage this better for end users!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Kelly DittmarKelly Dittmar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today I wasted a bunch of my time due to limitations in Power BI around this area:

A SVP at my company created a report in Powerbi.com off a cube. He then wanted to share it with our CEO. The CEO doesn't have access to the area where the report was created & we don't wish to complicate his experience in PowerBI by adding a group.

Since you can't migrate/share/copy a report between workspaces - I went to download it.
        Since the SVP created the report in Powerbi.com - I couldn't download it.
        Since it was a requirement to get the report to the CEO - I got to manually re-create the report in the desktop version so I could publish to a different workgroup.

There are much better uses of people's time than this! I hope that you will allow all reports to be downloaded soon! And if the report cannot be loaded - then I hope you will support the ability to move reports between workspaces.

• MichalMichal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not available for service content packs so cannot implement Row Level Security for reports created from service content packs.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what happened to this feature. Came it today and it's not working!!
        We depend on this feature now to maintain reports without having to keep local versions.
        Please help.

• Jim LenoxJim Lenox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When downloading a report to .pbix file .. can there be the option to include the .pbix data, or just refer to the service data model ? It will help greatly with maintenance of reports and copies of datasets. Thanks,

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs to be instituted fully, very important feature that improves workplace collaboration.

This isn't complete. To quote Amanda Cofsky: "For now, the preview feature can only download reports that originated from Power BI Desktop ... we plan to extend this feature to other types of reports." From https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-preview-of-download-power-bi-desktop-files-from-the-web/

This feature should work for all reports, not just an arbitrary subset of them.

• Connor MitchellConnor Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not complete. This is ridiculous. All we're asking for is a simple export functionality. You're wasting our time by making everyone recreate past work.

• Eric GEric G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No completed, can't download a report that was created using the service as has been suggested by the many others. Extremely frustrating.

• Jorge DiazJorge Diaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, This is not complete yet. We need to be able to download a report was created in Power BI Service.

• PabloPablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have this capability as well and download .pbix from PowerBI web App.

As others have suggested, it would be immensely beneficial to be able to download a .pbix from a report built directly in PowerBI.com web app (service). I have a massive reports trapped that I need exported to SharePoint.

• Graeme MillerGraeme Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any plans to bring this functionality to PowerBI embedded. We can edit and create items on the web now but then they are trapped there with no way to export.

• Simon BourdeauSimon Bourdeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the API call for this available? I can't find any documentation on it. Trying to build the ugly workaround to powerbi embedded not refreshing.

• Jay KilleenJay Killeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saw this feature launched a few months back. Finally decided to go back to building in PowerBI.com.

Used Analysis Services and still cannot download the .pbix.

Looks like I am giving up AGAIN on building directly in PowerBI.com

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.