How can we improve Power BI?

Download Reports to a .pbix file

Have the ability to download Reports from the service to a local .pbix file that can be modified in the designer application.

1,906 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jack BenderJack Bender shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

227 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PabloPablo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to have this capability as well and download .pbix from PowerBI web App.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have suggested, it would be immensely beneficial to be able to download a .pbix from a report built directly in PowerBI.com web app (service). I have a massive reports trapped that I need exported to SharePoint.

• Graeme MillerGraeme Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any plans to bring this functionality to PowerBI embedded. We can edit and create items on the web now but then they are trapped there with no way to export.

• Simon BourdeauSimon Bourdeau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is the API call for this available? I can't find any documentation on it. Trying to build the ugly workaround to powerbi embedded not refreshing.

• Jay KilleenJay Killeen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Saw this feature launched a few months back. Finally decided to go back to building in PowerBI.com.

Used Analysis Services and still cannot download the .pbix.

Looks like I am giving up AGAIN on building directly in PowerBI.com

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't see any option to download a pbix for *any* combination of dashboard, report and data source. In other words, other comments seem to say that such a download *is* possible in certain limited contexts - but I don't see the capability in *any* context.

We need to be able to download reports as .pbix for web version reports that generated from Excel saved on SharePoint Online.

• Julius AbateJulius Abate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT COMPLETE. Using an Analysis Services data source I don't have the option to save a .pbix. This means if I create a report in the web application there is no way of backing it up. Considering the reports are just MDX queries this really needs to be taken care of.

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, not complete. There is the option to download to PowerPoint but not .pbix file.

• Andy LAndy L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, not complete. I have been trying to download the stock Project WebApp dashboard to modify it for our use - but it is still not available.

• ZLJZLJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This definitely is not complete. Whilst the preview functionality is useful, the fact that only the publisher can download the PBIX, and only if it was published recently, makes it pretty far off a final solution.

• Chris.BailissChris.Bailiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to agree, this feature is ABSOLUTELY NOT COMPLETE. I need to be able to download all reports, etc created in the service in a single file. At the moment there is no way to download for backup, versioning, etc items created in the service.

In many organisations, only a small number of users have the desktop tool and many more use pre-built models to create reports directly in the online tool. Microsoft have fundamentally misunderstood the requirement here and how many users are actually using Power BI.

• Jarkko SuominenJarkko Suominen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The feature is still in preview and missing a lot of functionalities to actually call it complete. Please return this to it's correct state.

I hope the above comments from Microsoft are just a mistake ? There was active talk from Microsoft that saving .pbix files from the service when created first in the service, was the next thing to tackle. Now at face value that all seems to be ignored ? Most people (including one of our new consultants) setup our Reports and Dashboards in the service, only to find there was then now way to take a local backup for security or for editing. Please comment on this Microsoft as this feature is useless without that capability.

I need to download .pbix created with older versions of powerBI Desktop. It contínuos to be impossible to do that....

• LeeLee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but this this is really bullshit - The feature IS NOT complete.

As everyone here is noticing:
        "The request was to download .pbix files from the service - INCLUDING items created initially in the service."

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.