How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

814 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAmanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

I’m sorry for the delay in updating this idea, but we have in fact made custom report page tooltips generally available as of the September release of Power BI Desktop. You can read the details in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#tooltips

Be sure to vote on other tooltip suggestions on UserVoice if you have any other specific requests.

113 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • David Cresp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Giving more power to only show field selected in the tooltips, what order these are show and how they are shown is something that is really needed.

• Carina Tangsgaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though the possibility of adding extra fields to the tooltips was introduced in May, we still need the possibility of discarding fields and customizing the text and number format in the tooltip.

Example: I have a tooltip where I use the same variable in two different fields of the chart (x-axis and size). For size, I have the standard deviation whereas I use average for x-axis. Furthermore the standard for the column is average which makes my tooltip a bit unclear.

I'd like it to be so that I could adjust the tooltip to 1) make clear that I have an average, i.e. adjust the text of that line in the tooltip, 2) make the number formats more fitting, i.e. be able to have "0,00" for the standard deviation while keeping "0,0" for average, and 3) discarding one of my other measures that aren't important in this tooltip.

• sreinman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the ability to customize the tooltip. Would like the ability to customize it more eg change size, order, remove fields that are on the chart but are not needed in the tooltip etc.

• Zach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be huge in helping ad context to the data in a chart. Also, my data is getting cut off.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Tableau, you can simply add more info to the Details tile and it appears in the tooltip. We need that!

• Shasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customizing ToolTip adding more fields, which are not displayed in the visualization is failed by PowerBI.

• Michiel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been a feature in Power Pivot in Excel for years, but it seems it hasn't been on the priority list for Power BI so far. I agree that this is of critical importance when providing self-service capabilities to users.

• Madhu.Nuni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When we hover on measure/column name the tooltip shows the same. But I would like to show customized description for these columns. This useful for users to understand the column/measure better specially if we use abbreviated terms for these columns/measure names in order to have clean visual which doesn't cut of the words.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current tool-tips show the raw field names which is far from desirable particularly on aggregated values.

Having the ability to add custom tooltips to fields and/or dimensions would be invaluable to our team and to our users.

I want to add the formatting option for measures as the tooltips don't show the formatting of the measures as shown in the visualisations. Some numbers look like this: 9534549813 which is not readable.

I have to add that I love the improvements and the design of the tooltips though!

1 2 3 4 6 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.