How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

814 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminAmanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

I’m sorry for the delay in updating this idea, but we have in fact made custom report page tooltips generally available as of the September release of Power BI Desktop. You can read the details in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#tooltips

Be sure to vote on other tooltip suggestions on UserVoice if you have any other specific requests.

113 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree on this one.
    1. No lon lat
    2. Free format text
    3. Strings as a variable like name of the point!

• els commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow text as a tooltip and sequence customization.

This is desperately needed. I have many points on a map in the same city, but without being able to hover over and see location rather than Lat / Long, it is just a confusing collection of dots over the city.

A show stopper for me, so investigating other products - Power BI is not quite there yet for our needs, will check back in 18 months

• David Cresp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really necesary. On maps I do not want to be showing the lat and long in the tooltips.

How is it possible that this still is not implemented? Adding text to tooltips, and removing things from tooltips, should be a must have feature and number one priority. Frustrating...

When i use average, the tool tip says like 85.0214577. Is there a way to limit the number of decimals?

I agree with everyone - really need string tooltips and the ability to sort.

Some of my figures are really difficult to read because we are not enable to change the number format in the tooltips. Please, make it possible !

If I have a line chart with 15 series lines, the tooltip doesn't show all series because it has some height restriction. That's bad because you can't see some data. Please make it possible to show all or set a custom tooltip height somehow.

Biggest problem I have is the height restriction results in data not shown. For example, if I have 10 lines on a line chart, the tooltip only shows about half of them :-((((((

A good example is Average of Latitude and Average of Longitude on the Map viz, it is not meaningful as a tooltip and adds clutter. We should be able to remove it.

A good example is Average of Latitude and Average of Longitude on the Map viz, it is not meaningful as a tooltip and adds clutter. We should be able to remove it.

• Dattatrey Sindol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to other valuable suggestions here, it would be great to have ability to arrange/sequence the fields shown in the tooltips.

• Enrico Piccirilli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i would also add the option to include string tooltips without forcing the option to count them.
    this open up the need for a text aggregate function... that would display distinct values in line

• Meagan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, it would be great if the tooltip would respect the order in which I have placed fields into the Tooltips box.

What about comments in the tooltip?? How can I show concatenated values of a comment column??

tool tips on my charts display 15 decimal places for aggregated values. How do I control the format for those values?

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.