How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

813 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry for the delay in updating this idea, but we have in fact made custom report page tooltips generally available as of the September release of Power BI Desktop. You can read the details in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#tooltips

Be sure to vote on other tooltip suggestions on UserVoice if you have any other specific requests.

113 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jeff Pendleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a great number of cases where the values in a chart (tree maps for example) could reveal personally identifiable information. This will prevent a lot of uses for this product.

• Mike Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - I don't want to show the Lat / Long fields in the tooltips (or the Legend field, necessarily). And I do need to embed an URL/hyperlink within the bubble - which might possibly require the ability to 'fix' the bubble visually (even if you mouse away from the datapoint) - or somehow allow the mouse to reach the hyperlink in the bubble.

• Steven Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need the ability to remove any default tooltips. Can't believe this isn't a feature already

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The General Data Protection Regulation (EU law) becomes enforceable from 25 May 2018. The possibility to suppress the absolute number of individuals involved in the default tooltips will be necessary in certain cases. It would be great if we could hide these numbers on a reportpage level and even on a whole report.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I don't want tooltips period. I'd like to be able to turn them off

Being able to chose the order it is displayed in (without affecting the legend order) would be really beneficial.

• Santosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is very essential. Please consider to add this in next release.

• Sean Cupolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The suggested functionality would make a huge impact on the ability to provide important information to the user in a way they can understand it. Some visualizations have fields that often don't even lend themselves to being useful to read in a tool tip.

• Kevin Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really useful to be able to hide some (or all) of the default fields from the tooltip.

That data is generally already presented in the visualisation. The tooltip's best use is presenting additional data.

It's great you can change the field names, but making it an option to show or not show each field in the tooltip would be great.

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very important to hide some of field from the tooltip, customers don't want know lat and lon values in financial reports

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.