How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

692 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We allow you to customize your tooltips using our Report page tooltips feature, which is currently in preview.

Here’s the documentation on the feature so you can learn more: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-tooltips

Once the feature is generally available in a few months I’ll close this idea out.

I know there are a lot of specific suggestions in the comments, so if there is something you need to do that isn’t covered by report page tooltips, please either vote on or suggest specific ideas in UserVoice. For example, if you want the ability to completely turn tooltips off, you can vote on this specific idea for that: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/14823435-turn-off-tooltip-and-remove-default-tooltip

104 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fraser Hogg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a demo tomorrow and I am SO sad this isn't possible, burned by power bi's low price popularity and unfinished state again...

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please. need to be able to remove default fields but include customized fields.

• Brian Connelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could easily customize the tooltip without creating calculated fields to do so, e.g. <Text> <Measure> <Text> like "This is my custom text on the measure "<Measure Value> "for the dimension " <Dimension Value>

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition. Please allow us to customize tooltips.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the ability to remove fields that are on charts but are not needed in the tooltip. Thanks

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Greg: "Having Lat and Long on the map tooltip provides no real information and soaks up prime real-estate"

Please let us customize this tooltip option.

• Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists in Tableau, it would be great to have it.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having Lat and Long on the map tooltip provides no real information and soaks up prime real-estate.

• Jeff Pendleton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a great number of cases where the values in a chart (tree maps for example) could reveal personally identifiable information. This will prevent a lot of uses for this product.

• Mike Evans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - I don't want to show the Lat / Long fields in the tooltips (or the Legend field, necessarily). And I do need to embed an URL/hyperlink within the bubble - which might possibly require the ability to 'fix' the bubble visually (even if you mouse away from the datapoint) - or somehow allow the mouse to reach the hyperlink in the bubble.

• Steven Tran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need the ability to remove any default tooltips. Can't believe this isn't a feature already

The General Data Protection Regulation (EU law) becomes enforceable from 25 May 2018. The possibility to suppress the absolute number of individuals involved in the default tooltips will be necessary in certain cases. It would be great if we could hide these numbers on a reportpage level and even on a whole report.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sometimes I don't want tooltips period. I'd like to be able to turn them off

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What an asinine oversight on Microsoft's part. This needs to happen now; Tableau can do it!

Being able to chose the order it is displayed in (without affecting the legend order) would be really beneficial.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.