How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

815 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

I’m sorry for the delay in updating this idea, but we have in fact made custom report page tooltips generally available as of the September release of Power BI Desktop. You can read the details in this blog post: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-september-2018-feature-summary/#tooltips

Be sure to vote on other tooltip suggestions on UserVoice if you have any other specific requests.

113 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with other comments. This is idea is only partially completed. Still need the ability to remove tool tip default values.

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you please reopen this vote/issue? It's only half completed unfortunately. I was sad to learn you can add but not remove fields from the Tooltip.... I have a scatter chart with a highlight function needing a Flag field. For the report end user this is a totally irrelevant field and value.

• Laura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not completed. What you have added it tooltip pages. I still can't customise the content of the basic tooltip - simple things like being able to rearrange the fields in the tootlip or remove irrelevant fields from the tooltip.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I appreciate we now have custom tooltip pages and you can add to the tooltip fields, we should be able to prevent certain fields from showing in the standard tooltip. Adding tooltip pages isn't the same thing.

• Girish Gupta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customer get confused as we mostly use Index No so that we can sort the data. Which is displayed and create a buzz

• Brittany commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let the tooltip box size be customizable. If I want a description it gets cut off because the box is not wide enough.

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very basic missing feature, when will this be released?

• Fraser Hogg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a demo tomorrow and I am SO sad this isn't possible, burned by power bi's low price popularity and unfinished state again...

• Rachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes please. need to be able to remove default fields but include customized fields.

• Brian Connelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if we could easily customize the tooltip without creating calculated fields to do so, e.g. <Text> <Measure> <Text> like "This is my custom text on the measure "<Measure Value> "for the dimension " <Dimension Value>

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition. Please allow us to customize tooltips.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the ability to remove fields that are on charts but are not needed in the tooltip. Thanks

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Greg: "Having Lat and Long on the map tooltip provides no real information and soaks up prime real-estate"

Please let us customize this tooltip option.

• Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature exists in Tableau, it would be great to have it.

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having Lat and Long on the map tooltip provides no real information and soaks up prime real-estate.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.