How can we improve Power BI?

Tooltip customization on reports

Power BI, by default showing the selected fields in the report tooltip. There should be a option to discard/add fields from the tooltip. e.g It shows Index column in Map visualization, which can be discarded.

232 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sarath SSarath S shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  Amanda CofskyAdminAmanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) responded  · 

We just released an update to our custom tooltips experience. With the new aggregation types for string and dates, you can now start to use these data types more effectively in your tooltips. This builds on top of our existing tooltip experience: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-custom-tooltips/

We are planning more improvements to tooltips in the future as well, including the much asked for discard default fields option, so stay tuned!

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Filious LouisFilious Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to have Action URLs on tool tips. The urls should be driven by parameters in the report. For example you can go to a Customer's SalesForce page from a Customer Chart.

• Christian IrgensChristian Irgens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also be possible to add hyperlinks as chart tool-tips. These could link to video tutorials or html files explaining the report.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability to modify the field name in the tool tip for example "Subcategory" which does not display what the field name is. Not great business practice for the end user as does not make sense to them.

• Jared KnutzenJared Knutzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In many cases, the current tooltip functionality is pretty helpful, and I leverage it often. However I am finding more and more cases where I want to have complete control over the tooltip, and leverage it in narrative form (writing a plain English summary).

Ex: "Total sales in California during 2014 was $2,530.12"

It would be very helpful to have a simple UI to do this. Currently, I can create a DAX measure to create a narrative summary for a single chart.

State Sales tooltip = IF(HASONEVALUE('Sales Scorecard'[State]),"Total sales in "&DISTINCT('Sales Scorecard'[State])&" during "&DISTINCT('Date'[Fiscal Year])&" was "&FORMAT([Sales],"$#,###"))

There are a few issues with this approach:
        - my tooltip still has the measure name in it, which doesn't really make sense in this use case
        - every tooltip requires a new measure, which creates a cluttered data model
        - if I don't have access the to data model (live connect to analysis services), I can't create a custom tooltip

I would love the ability to switch between functionality. The default option is dropping fields into the field well, but toggling on a "Custom" option gives me a tooltip editor that lets me combine free text, measures, and fields into a summary.

• David CrespDavid Cresp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The update is certainly a good start. One of the things that is needed is the ability to remove measures from showing in the tooltips. For example there is no reason at all that latitude and longitude should show in the tooltips.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Desperately need to customize the tooltip, some default tooltips are confusing to users who do not expect the information (e.g. latitude, longitude on map).
        Also, would like to customize tooltips for table/matrix.

• MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need the ability to fully customize tooltip content similar to Tableau. This allows the developer to significantly improve to the context of a visualization for the end user.

• EJMEJM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the auto-inclusion of tooltip only measures in the title that makes me want to weep. When my chart shows one measure, along with many tooltips I should have the option of including the tooltip only values in the title or not. Sure, I can set the title manually but then once you drill down to the next dimension, it's no longer valid. Currently the title cannot represent what the viz is actually showing if you use more than one dimension in a hierarchy and tool tip only measures.

Totally agree on this one.
        1. No lon lat
        2. Free format text
        3. Strings as a variable like name of the point!

• elsels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow text as a tooltip and sequence customization.

This is desperately needed. I have many points on a map in the same city, but without being able to hover over and see location rather than Lat / Long, it is just a confusing collection of dots over the city.

A show stopper for me, so investigating other products - Power BI is not quite there yet for our needs, will check back in 18 months

• David CrespDavid Cresp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really necesary. On maps I do not want to be showing the lat and long in the tooltips.

How is it possible that this still is not implemented? Adding text to tooltips, and removing things from tooltips, should be a must have feature and number one priority. Frustrating...

When i use average, the tool tip says like 85.0214577. Is there a way to limit the number of decimals?

Some of my figures are really difficult to read because we are not enable to change the number format in the tooltips. Please, make it possible !

If I have a line chart with 15 series lines, the tooltip doesn't show all series because it has some height restriction. That's bad because you can't see some data. Please make it possible to show all or set a custom tooltip height somehow.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.