How can we improve Power BI?

Allow more data points to be displayed on a map

I work in the Real Estate industry and receive requests to plot data points on map showing sales in which our company has participated. Everything went fine until I tried viewing all the data points and ended up with "Showing a Representative Sample". I would like the ability to show a minimum of 2500 data points

543 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Joe Durand shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

34 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jesper Barslund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Work in Telco and I've often been asked to plot +2,5 million Lat / Long.

Would not care about performance loss if it's an options, even if just on the desktop.

Currently using Python or R to plot the data instead.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in the water industry in Scotland, and as we are starting out in PowerBI this has become an issue for us too.

• SuperKrishna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I plotted 60k counties easily in Tableau using a filled map, but found it impossible to do in Power BI. It could be done in R, but didn't meet the request for a filled map. Please increase the data point limit.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I administer electronic equipment inventories in all 254 counties in the State of Texas. I prepare an analysis for each county to determine quantities needed in the counties. I also need to know status and location. I have a data sheet that lists the location of every unit across the state. I want to know if I can build individual county maps that contain the physical location and quanties at those locations.

This is absolutely vital, especially as it is marketed to handle big data.. I work with survey data across the Great Barrier Reef, we have in excess of 50,000 records we need to map. OUr agency will have to switch platforms if not adressed

• Blair Gibb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a critical issue for my company. Maybe refresh when zooming to continuously show the maximum in the new window?

• Rob Schoones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hello, I want to emphasize that the total amount of data points we can view in maps is much too low. I'm monitoring learning progress of students worldwide. As data is becoming more and more important to improve our businesses for lager markets data limitations are slowing us down. Therefore I think 2500 is indead a minimum. We just started and have already 3000 records we think we need 50.0000 :-)

• Hamid Ashari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updates??
    This is a critical feature for many of us, and I could see myself abandoning use of the software altogether if this limitation is not addressed.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this? I can't even make a territory map based on US counties because it exceeds the limit.

• edh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been under review for almost 2 years. Any status on updating it?

• A. S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this restriction Power BI is just a Small Data tool.
    There should be no limit at all for maps and scatterplots. Otherwise they are useless.
    The easiest workaround should be a checkbox for the limit of 3500 (shut off by accepting performance loss).
    And that this feature is now requested for 2 years doesn't sound very promessing for soon changes :-(
    Hopefully you guys adjust this soon. Until this we use the competitor tool.

• kunle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be good to have as this is limiting the effectiveness of power bi at the moment.

• eric sismondini commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, if not all the points can be displayed it would be nice to get a warning so people will not think their source is not reliable.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Same comment regarding scatter plots. Need more data points to be visible.

Building a custom visual will allow you to set any number as a limit.

The solution to this problem is to specify a count of values that you want to show in your Visual.

this is possible by going into the capabilities and setting the 'count' property of the datareduction algorithm to whatever you want. We tried this with 100.000 and it worked fine, albeit a tad slower than usual.

It will affect performance, but otherwise it will work.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.