How can we improve Power BI?

Incremental Data Loads

Is it possible to add incremental load functionality to Power Query? Pull and load just new or changed rows from source system

2,388 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Javier Recasens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

268 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An efficient way of extracting and loading data is one of the key feature one would look in a BI tool. Top priority should be given for this request as most of the users of Powerbi suffers a lot as this feature is not available.

I also would like to vote for this feature. With ever increasing datasets, it's not viable to pull all data on every refresh.

• Wade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely vital, am hooked but we are all going to be creating unsustainable workflows to work around this issue very soon. No reason we should be re-querying the same data over and over from years back. Obviously data can change even from years back but at some point that becomes a business rule/process issue and not a database issue.

• Miguel Insaurralde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what we need is the possibility to "append" new data to existing one (say 1000 rows into existing 3M), and to "update" some rows (say 500 of 3M rows) every 2' aprox.

• JGatdula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, I think full and incremental refresh option is available in Tableau. I would like this feature be available in Power Bi as well. Feature would help a lot those working with very large data set (millions of rows of data).

• Eugen Baloc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for planning this feature! Can you give any indication of the time when it will be implemented?

Many thanks in advance!

• anantha7188 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

We have developed some reports using PowerBI and actually using the Import option as the dataset volume is bit more and also to enhance the perfiormance. Currently we have scheduled the refresh for the Imports in PowerBI Service. We are loading the data from the views in the Teradata DB.

I wanted to know the below.

"How the PowerBI Import schedule Refresh works? Does it bring in the full data from the tables everytime or it just brings up incremental data(new rows of .data or updated rows of data) after the Last refresh. Lets say if we have set the schedule refresh daily, does it bring all the data for all the tables everyday?"

But got the reply that the refresh is full everyday. Is there any update when this incremental feature will be implemented?

• Michal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must feature, please prioritize it as it is preventing from scaling Power BI in our teams

This needs to happen ASAP! I have to reload 2 years worth of web traffic data every morning and the scheduled refresh bombs out 3/4 of the time. Its really frustrating and bad optics for the platform.

• mohammed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bookmarks are a game-changer for front-end dev. This would deliver great value for back-end work. Please prioritise!

We really need delta updates on our scheduled refresh of PBI Online from Project Online via oData!

There is no point to refresh historical data. The only thing we need is to add the current records.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.