How can we improve Power BI?

Improve the Advanced Query Editor

Add better static analysis, IntelliSense, and general formatting abilities (like allowing tabs) in the "Advanced" editor

848 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Taylor Clark (Software Engineer, Power BI Desktop) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

69 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Khoi Do commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using March 2019 update. The intellisense is still tooooooo slow. Is the engine different from the Intellisense in SQL Server Management Studio?

• Abbas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As at today am using PowerBI and I can say that intellisense is working not only in advanced editor but also formula bar. But for it to work you have to use the advanced editor first and add some step(s). Then when yiu go to formula bar the intellisense works.

Haven't tried using formula bar intellisense without using advanced editor first though.

Your take?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anyone know why M intellisense keyboard shortcuts (like: CTRL + SHIFT + L) aren't functioning anymore? They seem to have disappeared after December's update ... any news/ help would be appreciated!

• Michiel Rozema commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some feedback on the recent changes in the Advanced Editor, introducing intellisense on M. This is a great feature, but as Mike Hardy states, it needs more work and is very slow at the moment. Some other issues I have:
    - What REALLY drives me crazy is the warning when closing the editor with the Cancel button. Open the Advanced Editor, do nothing, Cancel - Are you sure you want to cancel? with... a Cancel button! That cancels the cancellation!
    - The Editor wants to do too much. I don't need the current line to be highlighted, and when I click a word I don't need all other occurrences of that word to be highlighted (this may be useful in some cases, but now many highlights occur that have nothing to do with the selected item. When entering a new line somewhere in the script, when typing in the first name I don't need the next line to display red wiggles; I know I'm not done typing. Please make this configurable.
    - Small suggestion: when I open the Editor to e.g. paste a copied M script, I cannot select all with CTRL+A. Instead, I have to click in the Editor and then CTRL+A works. It would make sense to be in edit mode right away.

- This is probably a preview thing, but when entering a function (slow) the pop-up seems to be clickable by the hand cursor that is shown. This does nothing, however.

What I do like a lot is that a double-click on a composed name like #"Promoted Headers" now selects the name. Before, a double-click on e.g. Promoted only selected the word Promoted and there was no easy way to select the name as a whole. Nice!

• Mike Hardy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It just made it to the Advanced Editor as a preview feature which is fantastic. Unfortunately looks like it needs some more work. It's so slow and causes so much lag it's unusable. I have 6 cores, 64G and nothing else running. At least it's a start! Thanks.

• edh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, it is in the App Store version today for the advanced editor only. Not in the formula bar yet.

• raynok commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking forward! The added value is to see all the available options into categories.
    Better for learning

Someone created a interesting view, (If I could remember the author who produced the example, I would plug the author's website
    )

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiYjhhNTczYWUtN2MyOS00ZjkxLWI2ZWYtOWU2NjYwMGIxZWVhIiwidCI6IjIzMWRkOWNkLWRkYzctNGZiYS1hZTc4LTlmNGFjM2M5MTJlNyIsImMiOjN9

@Ben Sacheri, you can also get syntax highlighting and some light intellisense from the PowerQuery extension in VS Code and Visual Studio, but why this hasn't been implemented in the query editor in Excel or Power BI yet is beyond me.

• Ben Sacheri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current editor has a lot to be desired. It's annoying when I click my cursor between characters and drag the mouse to select text that the selection starting and ending positions jump to include more. It's like it's forcing me to select a "word" but it's never what I want.

The best editor I've founds so far is Notepad++ with the M language formatting. Here is more info about it:
    https://ssbi-blog.de/technical-topics-english/power-query-editor-using-notepad/

• mathew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amazing started almost two years ago. This must be so fantastic when it finally comes out... ;-P

But on a more proper tone. Please this is vital. We also need this on the Excel version of power query

Have to agree with several on here that the customer focus of MSFT is lacking if we get status updates like "STARTED" 2 years ago and we haven't been updated since. This is an easy way to lose the respect of a customer base and potentially customers overall. Please do a better job updating the us!

• wajid noor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what happened to this Idea? You gave a rough timeline of end of 2016 and it's almost half of 2018 but no improvements yet?

• Adam Kruzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It gets to be a hassle writing the code in Notepad++ so I can make sure brackets are in the right place and words are automatically filled out to only copy and paste it into Power BI and tells me something is wrong. Would be great if the Power Query editor acted more the Mgmt Studio.

• Carl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, is there any update to this? The M advanced editor in its current form is pretty awful!

• Rob.Mahon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this please? I just downloaded the latest desktop version. The new features are welcome but I'd happily trade them all for some basic editor features.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.