How can we improve Power BI?

Improve the Advanced Query Editor

Add better static analysis, IntelliSense, and general formatting abilities (like allowing tabs) in the "Advanced" editor

530 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Taylor Clark (Software Engineer, Power BI Desktop)Taylor Clark (Software Engineer, Power BI Desktop) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John DawsonJohn Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Needs to be at least as good as the DAX / R-script support. Admittedly, constrained by needing to be compatible with script generation, but some decent IntelliSense is basic, especially as many users may not have the deep experience needed to use Power query properly

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

Any update on the M IntelliSense ?

The fact that it was released for VS is a positive signal but it's been months now since then and we are all holding our breaths here pretty much.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

DAX authoring is significantly improved with the latest SSDT and SSMS releases and we know that M is built into SSAS 2017. Given its importance to PBI and MSBI projects, I'm hopeful the M development/authoring experience is improved soon. Any updates? :)

• Doug RobertsonDoug Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second every comment above and want to add a request for better highlighting and selection with a mouse.
        Who designed that feature. It feels like it is designed to specificly frustrate me when I am attempting to copy and paste any code. How did you make it so good at preventing me from selecting what I actually want???

• Mike RoycroftMike Roycroft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can but join the clamour asking for an improved editor. Given that languages such as Python have managed to be integrated with Visual Studio, bringing all the benefits such as support for intellisense, could that not be the fist step?

We would then use this "advanced" editor [which it isn't] merely as the means of pasting code developed elsewhere, which we all do now but using VS rather than Notepad++ which seems to be the frontrunner at present.

The long-term aim has to be intellisense etc native to the product but VS integration would be a good first step along that road

• Colin BanfieldColin Banfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the beginning, I was quite puzzled that: 1) The "Advanced Editor" is not even a basic editor for M scripting (e.g. far less capable than Notepad V1.0)
        2) M has about double the functions of Excel, yet there's no Intellisense
        3) In recent times, proper case for default steps names was replaced with spaced names that end up with ugly and error prone characters in the resulting script.

Finally, it occurred to me that the "advanced" editor was designed as a way of viewing recorded steps and making light modifications. It was never designed to do anything substantial, like creating scripts from scratch, or making substantial modifications to recorded scripts.

I made my peace with the editor a long time ago when it became clear that it was not going to get better anytime soon (that was about two years ago, and it turned out to be true).

I get the syntax highlighting, function intellisense and all of the editing functionality that I need in NotePad++. The advanced editor is merely used to paste scripts created in NotePad++

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.