How can we improve Power BI?

In app formula library

I think it would be helpful if there was some sort of formula library where if I don't know the exact syntax of a formula there would be an in-app place where I can find the syntax rather than having to look at a PDF or some other online library.

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jared shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Taha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a formula tab on the ribbon (similar to excel) where you can browse different functions & formulas

• Игорь Стерхов commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, really need that feature.
        We tested Tableau, and its formula editor is quite clear for our business users. So it will be great to have such editor in Power BI, with categories, explanation and examples for each formula.
        Also, as for me, it would be interesting to have formulas like SQL Server t-sql operators for relational data sources.

• AdminMiguel Llopis (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for the feedback, Jared. This is something that we're tracking and expect to improve in a few months.

In the meantime, there is a workaround for you which is to create a Blank Query and "type = #shared" in the formula bar. This will list out all available functions and types as a list of records. If you then use "Into Table" in the ribbon, you will be able to use Filter, Sort, etc. as a way of searching for what you want.

Not the most usable approach, but will get you a long way until we get the real feature in the product. :)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.