send report or dashboard as email
We are using Power BI for our Service Analysis and as a Service Engineer I need the refreshed Exception Report in my Mail box first thing in the morning. I can achieve this through SSRS. Need to have this in Power BI too.
Hi all -
V1 of the email subscriptions is now live! For more information, please see our announcement blog post:
If you have feedback or questions, please head to our community forums and let us know:
With this release, we are resolving this item as done. However, we are planning on iterating on the v1 functionality in the months to come. We’ve created the following UserVoice items for these improvements. Please cast your vote below to help us prioritize our investments going forward:
• Subscribing others to email snapshots of dashboards and report pages https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17757451-subscribe-others-to-emails-of-reports
• Subscribing to dashboards https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/6716330-add-a-subscription-to-a-dashboard
• Subscribing to entire reports https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17757478-subscribe-to-email-snapshots-of-entire-reports
• Subscribing to reports with custom filter/slicer configurations set up https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17757505-subscribe-to-email-snapshots-of-reports-in-specif
• Custom visuals show up in subscription emails https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17757487-support-for-custom-visuals-in-email-subscriptions
• Setting custom schedules for when emails are sent out https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17757946-allow-customization-of-email-subscription-schedule
Program Manager, Power BI
what is current status of this request i.e. 'send report or dashboard as email'. whether is was delivered as per plan or not. If not, what is expected plan for this.
could powerbi report server working on SSRS so that we could push email alert by sending excel, word reports?
What is so difficult about a simple send by E-Mail function? The subscription is far to complex and not user friendly. Our recipients only want to receive an email and not to go on to another surface. It would really be appreciated not to overcomplex those functions.
Please include the possibility for data driven subscriptions - as in SSRS, where we can email reports per individual basis. This allows recipients to view only their reports. It allows us to send reports to several recipients per their filter.
We have power BI embeded in our dashboard (power bi imported to powerbi workspace collection & embeded via iframe). How would we subscribe for emails in such case?
Jasmin Wing commented
Good step forward, however this isn't a beneficial option for me personally right now.
For our business, we would look to schedule weekly or monthly reports, rather than receive an email every day. The functionality to set certain dates and times would be beneficial.
Subscribing dashboards would be very beneficial. We set up custom dashboards and being able to send a PDF of the entire dashboard to the relevant parties would be brilliant.
Mike Thibodeaux commented
Great feature I was really excited about until I was blocked from setting up a schedule for a report that came from a content pack. Not sure why this isn't available but can this be changed? Our entire Power BI structure is based on Content packs.
Was very excited about the subscription functionality until I read the "fine print". If the report updates once an hour, it does no good if it only sends out at 8:00 A.M. We were also expecting a file, not a screenshot that is completely unusable. Are there plans to be able to:
1. Choose file types such as PDF or Excel?
2. Keep filters intact?
3. Set up custom subscription times?
4. Be able to send the reports to someone other than myself from Power BI?
5. Make subscriptions available for Content Packs? Because yes, the workaround is a pain.
Please make it so that it can be scheduled(e.g. weekly, daily), sent by mail to the person I want to sent it to (even outside the company) and in a readable format (e.g. pdf).
Chris Pino commented
I thought this release would allow for emailing of dashboard snapshots. I have been advocating use of power bi in our business and have assured colleagues that the necessary features are coming and now this?! I really hope this feature is improved soon or we will have to look into other options.
Jon Price commented
I can see this could be a promising idea but the implementation is not quite there in my opinion. 3 things that would make it usable:
1. Allow the report to be sent out in a readable format (ie. PDF) as per other comments already made.
2. Use the filters applied to the report when creating the subscription eg. Filtering data for a specific customer, rather than just using the default filters.
3. Allow a custom schedule to be set eg. daily.
Any update ?
The content delivered in the new subscription email is hardly readable. Could you make it PDF attachment (fit to page just like you print it) so the snapshot can be saved/shared/printed etc.
The limit of subscribing reports from contact pack is a very hard limit.
its to much work copying the report locally,subscribe it, and then do it all over again after implementing some changes to the main reports.
any idea when this limit will be removed ?
And of course its implemented in exactly the way i dreaded and expected....
Seeing "subscribe now" for reports. Here is more info on this https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-subscribe-to-report/.
Really curious for the update!
Corey Severson commented
Any update on this feature? This is a must have.
Can Sirui please provide a status update regarding this feature?
Paul Thornley commented
Does not appear to be part of the most recent update. Am I missing it?