How can we improve Power BI?

Default Selected Slicer or Tile-By Value Configuration

Allow a user to set the default value for a slicer or tile-by value on a page/dashboard, so that when the Power View page is opened for the first time, the default value is selected.
eg. If the page has a slicer for Year or Month, allow the user to configure the most recent Year or Month to be selected by default.

2,260 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re looking into this request, thanks for everyone’s votes and comments.

It looks like many of the requests will be addressed by the new ‘Sticky filters’ capability. Now when you log out of Power BI and come back to a report, the same items will be selected as when you left.

For those who’re looking to have a ‘last month’ selection, the relative date slicer might help.

Those with comments about currencies where having multiple selected makes the report meaningless – the report will load with whatever selection the author saved, so if you save it with one currency selected your users will see that by default.

If there are scenarios that these features don’t address, please let us know in your comments – if you are really specific it’ll help us build the feature to work just the way you want!

Thanks again!

283 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • YO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if we as developers could assign default selection for dates filter, based on DAX measure. For example, each passing day the default selection would change to the current day, or a different day based on DAX measure like "last update date" from a fact table.
    At the moment this is very frustrating to customers.

• James Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just want to reiterate:
    "Sticky Filters" and "Relative date" filter do not address this issue. I am looking for
    an option to set the date slicer default value to a calculated measure in the visualization option so that when the report refreshes in PBI Service, the selected date slicer value is updated to the latest value from the measure.

• Josh Flory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any word on creating a default value for filters that uses DAX? Basically set the filtered value to TODAY() but don't filter the entire page by that. A date selector for example that defaults to today BUT the user can go back as far as they desire.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a scenario where we always view our data starting on the first day of the month. We would like a way to default the "From Date" to the "first day of the month" and the "To Date" to "today". This would allow our users to simply bypass this slicer when viewing the report, unless they want to tweak the range of dates they are reviewing.

• Deepak Sharma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have data for 7 years and average 200 rows per day.
    When the Power View page is opened for the first time, the default value is selected – it should be today.
    We need to choose one single date from calendar and filter data by this date.
    Is it possible in Power BI Desktop?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a KPI table that aggregates all data together. It makes no sense to aggregate the data like this so a default value is mandatory otherwise the users see nonsense numbers. They have to know to select which KPI they are after first.

It was great if I can set current date/month as default selection in a slicer

• Raymond Wong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue is that the date slicer visual is stuck at the selection when PBI Desktop file is published to PBI Service.

For example if I have a date slicer selected at 4/1/2019 when my PBI file is published. I set the date slicer filter to relative date to show last 2 days including today. I also set the report on a daily refresh schedule.

On 4/3/2019 the refreshed report displays blank values because the date slicer selection is still stuck on 4/1/2019 when PBI Desktop was published.

The date slicer selection will only change if I republish PBI report with a new date selected on the PBI Desktop.

"Sticky Filters"and "Relative date" filter do not address this issue. I am looking for
    an option to set the date slicer default value to a calculated measure in the visualization option so that when the report refreshes in PBI Service, the selected date slicer value is updated to the latest value from the measure.

• Michael Shparber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow the default member to be defined by a DAX calculation.
    For example: if today is monday than select last friday by defalt, else - select last date.

• Pete Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One frustration I have is not being able to control the default for a relative date slicer. The main issue being Last Month. When selected it defaults to Last Month (Last 30 Days) but we need Last Month (Calendar). This catches out many users and reflects inaccurate data in reports. Meaning another counter-intuitive selection on the slicer to achieve the desired results.

• Karl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our situation, we want to show a date range but have the begin date and end dates default to a value determined by a calculation (for example, first day and last day of a rolling 12 completed months).

• Scott Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Relative date slicers are nice - but they would be better if there was an option to base them off of the dates of the data vs. off of the current date at time report is accessed. For instance, we have a report we refresh weekly on Wednesdays. It would be great if I could set a date filter on "Last 7 days" but have that only refresh when the data does...staying fixed after that until the next load.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a slicer which I want to default to the user's name, with the slicer field being a list of other user's names, so it would be helpful if the slicer's default could be set via the value of a measure.

• Amy DeCosmo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea show's "under review" since Feb 8, 2018. Any closer to making this a reality?

This is a basic requirement. Customers want to have a default value but also wants to have all others values available.

We need the ability to use a date range (not relative dates) and to set default values programmatically. Relative dates rarely give our users what they need and sticky filters don't resolve this at all. Date ranges that are stuck as a default end up stale for old date ranges. Using Power BI Report Server.

• supriya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi we have requirement to have default value in the slicer like current month and show rest of the months in the drop down. Please implement this because of this feature we are not able migrate our reports from obiee to power BI.

Functionality: Set Default value in the slicer as current quarter and the dropdown should show rest of the quarters.

**Slicer should have option to set default value based on another column or by using parameters or DAX function.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.