How can we improve Power BI?

Default Selected Slicer or Tile-By Value Configuration

Allow a user to set the default value for a slicer or tile-by value on a page/dashboard, so that when the Power View page is opened for the first time, the default value is selected.
eg. If the page has a slicer for Year or Month, allow the user to configure the most recent Year or Month to be selected by default.

910 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

127 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can work around by using chiclet slicer instead, and selecting forced selection in format settings

• Lucas Sutherland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those wanting to do this, I have used a workaround by using a combination of an IF and ISCROSSFILTERED statement. This allows me to have visuals show the 'current' month value, and then change if the user selects a different month / time period on the other visuals in the page.

• Frank van Zuilen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also:
        - limit the slicer's instances based on a measure (like custom visual "HierarchySlicer")
        - maybe start with forcing to select the Top 1 instance (depending on the sort order)

I would also suggest the default filter to always be selected if there are no filters selected. The report I created shows national values and users have options to see other regions. What I want is that if the user deselects a region it must revert back to National

• Brian Norris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stunning that this is still here a full two years after the earliest comment. In the Top 40 on the Ideas site. And such a seemingly basic feature for this type of tool. Please, please, please...

• Brian Beauchamp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Slicer should also have an option to default to the last selected value. If I open a report and go to March, close the window, log back in, it should stay on March.

• Prabin U commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a feature to set a default value for a slicer. It is absolutely necessary for a dashboard as we want to display the most important measure first when someone opens up the dashboard. Thank you!

• Rayan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can now use the new "bookmarks" option, VIew->Bookmarks Pane
        Just Add a new bookmark "AFTER" you configure your slicers

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pleass add this feature as soon as possible! is not nice show data from unknown item included on the filter.

• Manuel Bustamante commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mike Donnellan We needed this for last Friday. Power BI guys, could you please make a new release for tomorrow includign this behavior?

Thank you in advance,

This is such a simple thing that would be used in so many reports. It's a standard for SSRS and many other reporting tools and is one that Power BI should have as well.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.