making annotations

making persistent annotations that can be shared with others

101 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Markus Thomanek shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ned commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

David has described the need well, and I agree the Tableau annotation features are a good model. The "Enlighten Data Story" custom visual (in PowerBI marketplace) provides some of the features (combining static text and measures), but the need is to have something like this embedded in other visuals and linked to data points with relative positioning.

Would you recommend starting a new thread, since the original poster didn't provide any detail?

• Dávid Bessenyei commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Annotations are just as important as the charts.
    Using Power BI for data storytelling without annotations is very limited currently.

I would like to annotate charts and data points. This function should support relative positioning (e.g. relative to selected data point or visual element like an axis or shape).
    I would like to use static text and dax measures as well within one annotation.

Data point annotation would be useful to highlight what is important and to provide context.
    I would use chart annotations for onboarding by explaining what the chart shows. I would use bookmarks to let the user hide the annotations when not needed.

It could be a report page tooltip that is always visible for a given data point (not just when hovered).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, would love to see annotations and the ability to create a dialogue by users around certain data points. Ability to highlight, draw circles, specific filter criteria, etc

• Steve Powel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to add annotations/narratives to visuals when certain slicer sets are selected or levels are shown on the visual as part of bookmarks or as part of user interactions would be very useful. An example would be looking at sales across the year and noting an uptick in the 3rd quarter, when you drill into the third quarter noting that the uptick was because of a new product category and this has to be stripped out to see the underlying trends. The ability to then add annotations when regions are added or drilled into to reflect which regions were impacted by internal business outages for example. Having these narratives added to bookmarks would enable more effective storytelling and would also make them easier to discover and reproduce (users tend to find something then want to go discuss it with someone so need to find it again) some method of displaying these on screen is of course critical.

• Sébastien De Bosscher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same functionality in power BI service & power BI mobile for windows 10 than in power BI mobile (for Android, iOS) would be great.

Weird that you currently have more functionality in the mobile apps than in the web browser or desktop app for windows 10, when it comes to taking a screenshot, making annotations and sharing.

• Joel Vega commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm looking for the Power BI web app to have annotations similar to the mobile app.

• Callum Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any plans to support annotations in the Power BI service? Users at one of my clients like using the Mobile app when out in the field, but we have some internal users who present back to management. Currently, they have to download a copy of the report into Power BI desktop and create text boxes for annotations. Having annotations in the service (specific to a user), would be a really powerful thing. In this case, we would not need to take multiple copies of a report and clutter up personal or group workspaces.

• Tien Dung Thoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have often this ask from my customers; they want to mark/circle/highlight part of a report, comment on it, kind of like "We REALLY need to look into this issue", and pass it around to other stake holders.

Something like the "Web note" of MS Edge coud do nicely, if we could link it back to Power BI.

• Wesley Magee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One use case would be to annotate events related to specific dates or date/times. For example, annotate that Christmas happened on a specific date, so a drop off in data is quickly explained.

• Dennis Faust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking for the same. An example would be where I am showing a comparison between target values and actual values. Interested to annotate the delta and explain why or what action could be taken to address the delta.

• Daniel Ahr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if this relates to popbups and annotations.

I would like to add an in-built trigger for certain values upon which the user would get animated objects in the dashboard and equivilent static picture in the reports.

Simply put; for gamefying Id like to assign decals and messages to an employee if he/she reaches a certain customer response rate or sales qouta.

Would be like this::
    --Congrahulations!
    You have reached level Gold standard in this months Sales competition.
    //Displays badge animated//
    The user would get an annotation alse whereas the collagues would see his/hers name as the winner

• Aaron Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Annotations on a map have been really useful to us in the past. Little custom pop outs that allow us to edit the tool tip to give our users more information about the particular area on a map.

• Ching commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our situation, we want to create tooltips-like annotations to help report users understand each visuals better just in case they need more explanations about the visuals.

• getsetbro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for this. An auditor needs to point out the spot in the visuals that proves the problem. Or maybe has a question about it that needs someone else to come along and answer it. I've been thinking that a d3 chart might contain the annotation DOT and another widget could display the text that the user entered for that DOT.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.