How can we improve Power BI?

Multi-tenancy scenarios

We would love to use Dashboard to publish reports for our customers but would want to separate out by customer - ie have separate sub areas / folders per customer , where we can permission per customer - ie only users in relevant Customer group has permission to the folder

144 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andy Ball shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Whit Waldo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The documentation for multi-tenancy at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-multi-tenancy is quite clear in that for data isolation, scalability and cost it's better to be able to utilize a workspace-based architecture as opposed to row-level security-based. That said, the largest downside is the proliferation and management of the various artifacts created within each of the workspaces.

The documentation appears to indicate that the intention would be that each workspace would be responsible for creating and maintaining their own separate reports, but fails to address the scenario in which I'd like to have a common set of reports that is centrally created, updated and managed without workspaces having any such autonomy themselves.

Rather, it would be ideal for my purposes to have greater control from the master account to programmatically clone and manage these artifacts from a global perspective. In my scenario, I would intend, as the SaaS provider, to exclusively create a common collection of reports that are propagated to all of the workspaces whenever I author a new report or update an existing one. Given that each of my customers' data resides on a separate database, each workspace would then ideally be programmatically configured to utilize separate connection strings, but since they would all have identical schemas, the reports could be easily and centrally managed for all workspaces on the account.

I would be more than happy to speak with someone over a call about my scenario here.

• Jean Luc Gauthier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, is this still under review or it's available within Power BI? Didn't see anything regarding multi-tenant in the application settings.

• Alwyn Pereira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has this been solved? This is huge for us as well. We actually have separate tenant databases per customer, and would like to have a single report that can actually point to different customer dbs depending on the logged on users organization

• Adam Reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Critical feature to be able to provide report access across Azure/Azure AD tenancy. Especially for companies supporting multiple entities that may have different tenants but same reporting or silo'd departments.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please include this as a key feature for PowerBI as it will definitely benefit our customers and Microsoft greatly! Win-Win product request.

This is the only missing item that is stopping our organization from selecting Power BI over competitors such as Tableau. Microsoft is losing a lot of money from potential SaaS partners.

Using our case as an example, each clients would have their own site inside Power BI. Each client can manage users and reports within their own site.

We, as the SaaS software provider, have a master account with access to every client's site. We can add/update standard reports and push them out to all of the client sites without overwriting each customer's custom reports. We also can manage the provisioning of sites for new customers. We can limit things such as # users for each site.

We use a single data source so security and proper data filtering needs to be in place to prevent each client from seeing other client's data.

Example of how this works in Tableau:
    https://tableauandbehold.com/2016/03/18/the-tenets-of-tableau-templates-on-multitenants/

• Sreedhar Reddy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are in the same boat as SaaS and need multi tenant support for Power BI Embedded. Please advise.

• Rozack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jono,

We are trying to use the PowerBI embedded and we do not see any features by which we can Publish a report template and restrict the access to the data (user wise scope / row level security). We are using SSAS cube as the source.
    The system is multi-tenant system.

Our multi-tenant scenario is simple: we would create the report and then publish it on our portal so that our clients (we are multi-tenant SaaS) can run/visualize the report. But the data used at runtime to build the report for a particular client should only contain the data that belongs to that client. In other words, I need to be able to select/filter the data by a single "Client ID" parameter. Right now we can put a filter in the URL as in:

https://app.powerbi.com/reportEmbed.../$filter=clientID eq 332

but this is not secure as any client can simply change the URL and access someone else's data. What is needed is for Microsoft to let us embed additional claims into the App Token. When building the App Token, we would add a few additional claims such as "$ClientID=35" and "$UserID=444" and then Power BI would simply feed those claims to the Power BI engine (Of course, the report in this example is designed to take 2 parameters).

• Ahmad Akra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We offer a SaaS multi-tenant system on the cloud using Azure SQL sharding, the system is for enterprises. it would be fantastic if Power BI could facilitate the scenario where we want to provide web dashboards for our clients executive offices where every client/tenant can view and analyse their subset of the data without being aware of the existence of the other clients/tenants

• John George Riise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also interested in this and whether the users already are Power BI users or not is secondary. Of cause the fewer constraints the better. But what are the options?

I have the same problem, because we need use te same report for different clients, but we need applied a filter with id customer.
    Thanks much!
    Charly

• Douglas Day commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also very interested in understanding how we can host \ manage multiple clients data on one or more tenants.

• AdminJono Luk (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your comments here. I'd like to make sure I'm clear on your request here. Are you saying that you want to build Apps for your own customers, and manage the reports, datasets that are used for those reports? In general, do these users already have Power BI? Or are you thinking that they wouldn't necessarily be using Power BI already?

Thanks much!
    Jono

• Arthur Henderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to see this feature for our healthcare and Government clients. Clarification on how MS intends us to support external clients would also be appreciated.

• Ron Padzensky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As part of the multi-tenancy requirement, Pro License users in different groups must not be able to collaborate with one another nor see one another when adding/editing workspaces.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.