How can we improve Power BI?

Heat maps in Power View

It'd be REALLY nice to have heat maps capabilities in the map visualization of Power View, like those in Power Maps.

This is an OFTEN requested feature from our large enterprise customers

1,178 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tien Dung Thoi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. We announced a partnership with ESRI to bring their mapping capabilities into Power BI. Their maps include the ability to build heatmaps! The feature’s in Preview at the moment, I’m leaving this marked as ‘Started’ for now and we’d appreciate your feedback. Try it out and let us know how you find it. We’ll update it to ‘Completed’ when we take the Preview label off the feature.

More details on the blog: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-arcgis-maps-for-power-bi-by-esri-preview/

Thanks!

59 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Raghava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I discussed with technical team, they said this request is not picked up still?. I can see there are 873 votes and this is a most needed feature, what do you require more and when do you plan to get this done?

• Raghava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I liked Heat Maps in Power Map, but surprised to see that this is missing in Power BI. I am not able to recommend to business because of this feature, can you get this added soon?

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry for the excessive comments. I just thought of one more way to implement this. You can expose a stock SQL server db that comes with the PowerBI desktop install where we can insert our own map data. We did this "hack" in Tableau to use WKT instead of thousands of individual rows (1 for each vertice). I really want this program to be successful. We have had a TON of success in our organization by revealing information via maps, but there are so many ways to make it better.

The other use case for this is to plot custom x,y coordinates to define a retail store layout as well as "sections" of that store.

Honestly - just copy the way Tableau does it and that will do it. We are using Tableau for my client specifically because of the polygon maps feature. One way to do it better is to import esri shape files or to read WKT stored as either varchar(max) or spatial data types.

• Priyatham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the status of Heat Map introduction in Power BI? Is it coming in near future or not? Please answer!

Please add heatmaps!! I want something like what is in Tableau where you can define your own polygons. It would be nice if we could use WKT for our own polygons. I know that SQL server supports this - I just want to be able to do it in PowerBI. Another option is to let us use an ESRI shapefile as a data source - SSRS has that feature.

• Sam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! It would be great to drag in a measure % and have the area of the country be green to red scale based on the value. This would be huge for compliance and exception reporting.

• T. Lullier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm working in a small B2C company and we are really needing heat maps ! Filled maps in its current implementation is useless for us.

• Thuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we just need the power maps capability in power bi. currently u can't publish a power map.

• Ville commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Heat maps would also very useful tool to quick analyse the traffic hours at retail stores in more detail. With this it would also be easy evaluate whether the store opening hours are what they should be or is there a need to adjust them.

So yes please!

• Nathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if filled maps had a heat map color range. The filled maps are dang near useless.

1 3 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.