How can we improve Power BI?

Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

2,851 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gogula Aryalingam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

261 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A good idea that would very useful. If you use Adobe Acrobat (not reader) and the data is already in a table you can drop it into excel but it is not always perfect. You sometimes have to clean the data up.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me as a translator this would be a life saver. So many times clients send you the source as a PDF file with lots of figures in tables. They don't pay for the figures, only for the text parts, but they still expect the figures to be in the translation as well. If there would be an easy way to get the tables into Excel that would solve a big headache.

OCR from adobe versions of pdf's from excel deserve a special place in hell from those that create them. MicroSoft should work out a conversion capability that doesn't require more editing that takes more time than the original document creation.

• Keith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a useful enhancement to Excel spreadsheets. Lots of information is sent by PDF.

Greta idea. Dealing with government released data is a nightmare. It is always in pdf.

Many of the data resources from my company and other industry publications and resources are available only in a PDF format. If Power Query were able to mine this PDF format, my staff and I would save many hours in re-typing and/or summarizing. Please consider reading a pdf format as a 'Get External Data' option.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.