How can we improve Power BI?

Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

2,691 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gogula Aryalingam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

247 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ken Puls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please bring this to Excel as well. I get this question EVERY time I teach a course on using Power Query. It's a very big need!

• Engaged User commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree, sometimes you just dont have access to the nice to have CSV file. If the PDF was generated from an Excel file to begin with reverting it back would be awesome.

• Paul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if PBI Desktop could load PDF files - both physical and scanned.

• Gerry Baerman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll add a third vote for this. As Gogula indicates, PDFs are the rule for a lot of public domain data on the Web, especially from the US Gov. Personally, I hate PDFs and my choice would be to simply make them illegal :) , but if we have to live with them, we're going to need a way to mine the data from that hideous file format.

• Chris Han commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge to CFO and CMO teams. Parsing financial reports is essential task toward any competition analysis and strategic planning.

1 2 9 10 11 13 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.