How can we improve Power BI?

Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

2,691 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gogula Aryalingam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

247 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this it important to enable pdf export option in table shorter visual

This will help a great Deal to export in pdf to may department in my organization

I have the same need as everyone else but I'm not sure if this functionality should be built within Power Query. I have an overall needs to get data from web pages (aka web scraping) behind logins and also to download and parse PDF tables. I currently use a third-party web scraping and PDF extract service to do this and it works. I think having a a service by Microsoft with PowerQuery integration and Microsoft Flow integration would be beneficial.

Just imagine the mountains of data locked up on web pages and PDFs but most tables are not so simple to parse with javascript post-backs, badly coded websites and PDF that have tables but not easy to magically parse all the data. Having a visual tool that helps in writing the powerquery code in debug mode as you step through a website or PDF is needed to make it a strong offering instead of just good enough.

• Peter Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a customer that wishes to analyse their phone bill, but the "electronic" version their provider sends them is a 400 page PDF document!! You can use Excel as an intermediate step, but columns get transposed so manual data wrangling is still required. This feature cannot come soon enough!

• Colin Miles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many individual business are now sending PDF receipts via email, ability to parse data would be amazing for granular project visibility.

• Max Gregson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is huge for professional services firms too. Even if the result had to be cleaned up after. The biggest ask we get is to be able to extract the data held in tables within pdfs which feels like it should be an easy/easier solution.

• Brian Spiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly as Ken Puls states...
        I am looking at a bank statement that is 186 (and sometimes statements that much, much bigger) pages long. I can use NitroPro to convert the document to straight txt file and then bring it into Excel, either directly or through PQ.
        But cutting that conversion step to txt is one of the big reasons I thought PQ exist?
        Considering that some PDF's are the only source for certain data dissemination, I am really surprised that it is not yet a valid source for PQ.

• Ken Puls commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this got merged from a different thread, I just want to clarify something as the topic is not quite the same...

What I'm looking for is the ability to read from a PDF. While extracting tables would be nice, my priority would be to read the PDF as a text file so that I can do my own parsing of any of the data inside. I.e. I don't want this restricted to only pulling in data that looks like a table.

• Anthony Newell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's my input on this idea:

1) Ability to extract from a document (PDF or Word) If you received a data source on a regular basis in document format that had a regular embedded table of data you could extract it using PQ

2) Convert a set of reports in PBI to PDF document to enable you to produce and distribute a hard copy report pack by email or upload to Sharepoint. Sometimes the requirement is to have reports consumed in this way so this is greater flexibility opening up more usage possibilities for PBI

• General Ledger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe having a PDF as a source file is not already included. PDF's are so common and are the most troublesome to work with.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.