How can we improve Power BI?

Tables in PDF files

I have come across so many public data repositories that hold data in PDF format. Other websites have tables within documents such as annual reports etc., also in PDF format. A data source for PDFs or tables from PDFs would be awesome!

2,851 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Gogula Aryalingam shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

261 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also looking forward to this feature. We currently do bluebeam take-off work for construction, after which I export to CSV and run through Power BI. I would love to get more granular access to the data contained within.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Miquel, can you provide an update? Surely your comment in August for one of the top ranked ideas warrants an update. What does Planned actually mean?
        We are now in April, can you comment that it will or won't be released in the May release?
        Come on give us a bone here...

• AJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on the ETA for this? Really looking forward to it!

• Nate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on the ETA for this? Really looking forward to it!

• Mike Honey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While we wait for a Connector solution (which would be great), I'm having some success at this task using the open-source Tabula project.

http://tabula.technology/

It has supporting automation/scripting projects (e.g. tabula-py for python), but in almost all cases manual extract design and post-extract data transformation is required. I guess this is due to the imprecise nature of PDF tables.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very useful connector. The Internet has a lot of information in PDF, which can be used in complex analysis.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi - is there an expected release for this? Hopefully early 2018 = March update!

• kigayo083 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I highly appreciate the efforts planned this time. I will make recommendations at an early stage. Please connect to PDF data which we have difficulty to capture every year. I believe that developers will be able to recognize the specific tasks to be addressed by concrete examples. Come and sample it as a target for TEST, please realize the connection that everyone praises. http://www.keinet.ne.jp/rank/18/ds04.pdf

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.