How can we improve Power BI?

Connect to offline/external PowerPivot model

I'd like the ability to use the model in an existing excel powerpivot workbook (not uploaded to powerbi) as a data source for PBIDesigner or even directly in the powerbi dashboard. Ideally it would work similar to the connection to an on-premise tabular model. I believe tableau offer functionality to connect to a powerpivot model in an excel workbook

129 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jakub KaczanowskiJakub Kaczanowski shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David RoseDavid Rose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would want to build my model in one workbook and do the visualizations in more than one other workbooks all off of the same data model.

• AndersonAnderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Hassan said before: "I prefer that powerbi desktop connect to the power pivot data model rather than importing it, in this case you can use the in Excel and powerbo dashboard at the same time."

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please have this on priority: (Hassan) I prefer that powerbi desktop connect to the power pivot data model rather than importing it, in this case you can use the in Excel and powerbo dashboard at the same time.

• HassanHassan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I prefer that powerbi desktop connect to the power pivot data model rather than importing it, in this case you can use the in Excel and powerbo dashboard at the same time.

• Snehal PatelSnehal Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitly like to have PowerBI as an offline application which can sync with Site or OneDrive

• StevithStevith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could the ability to connect to individual perspectives created in an excel powerpivot workbook be added with this?

• Jonny ChambersJonny Chambers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely want this... I am testing PowerBI with QuickBooks right now and I would much prefer that I could manipulate the datasource in Excel.

• Pepe VeraPepe Vera commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really convenient. Even if it is not tied to Power Pivot and it is only Excel based data. What I like the best of Power BI now is the fact that it is very, very convenient, but I also see the need to make PowerBI a datasource-agnostic service, just like Tableau tries to do.
        This would be overkill.

• angiangi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tableau offers this +1, why Microsoft doesn't support it by default?

• alexalex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like this, not just for PBIDesigner but also for Excel PowerPivot/PowerQuery. As anonymous said, Tableau offers this.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to use the powerbi in offline mode like the tableau desktop and not using the cloud. Hope this would be addressed for enthusiasts like me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.