How can we improve Power BI?

Integrate SSRS reports

Source dashboard reports from SSRS reports.

1,804 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jeremiah Harrell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Riccardo Muti responded  · 

We’re actively working on enabling SSRS (*.rdl) reports directly in the Power BI cloud service with no separate SSRS report server required. We want Power BI to be a one-stop shop for all your dashboards and reports, including Power BI reports, Excel workbooks, and SSRS reports.

It’s a large undertaking that’ll take some time, but as usual, we’ll start with previews to share our progress with you and hear your feedback, and expand the feature set and eliminate limitations over time.

We don’t yet have timeframes to share, but stay tuned!

100 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Better Idea Group commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a long time SSRS developer with customers who want this union I am tuned in !Any updates would be highly apprecaiated

• Lyle Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be great! Please also consider having adding/keeping some metadata support so we can define and categorize our content.

• Koen Verbeeck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just saying that if this functionality makes it only in Power BI Premium, I am not going to be happy. And a lot of customers probably also.

• st3vemartin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Overall - Love this idea, see TONS of value here.
        Ability to query the database / dataset directly with a run-time query that can be dynamic SQL or a complex parameterized query – and in general, SSRS strength is in basically is putting an entire model / business logic isolated into 1 report. Sure - Not repeatable as with the report platform concept - but much better approach when you get into that eeky 20% reporting (standard model gets you 80% of the 80/20 rule) .. or it's a 1 off report - why clutter a “pristine” / standard model with odd-ball measure and attribute filtering logic - which can be "organized" into 1 report. And yes, sure you can do this in a separate Power BI report – but not efficiently like SSRS (writing a SQL query) – especially when the run-time logic gets complex. – And hopefully drill through (same report) is vastly enhanced via SSRS parameter assignments – where the model doesn’t have to share the same attribute to enable drill through.

And that does not even get into the formatting Pixel perfect .rdl strengths of SSRS…. A matrix which by default can support graphs at the table row level (sparklines) - Report developers would be nuts not to support this union…

• Phil Spokas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see a ton of value in this. A PaaS offering for SSRS for sure. 100%. Not sure that Power BI itself is the answer. Sure there is overlap.

I do like Giampalo Pitzalis comment below. That seems more appropriate.

We have many (every?) customers with 100s of SSRS reports. They do not need/are not going to deploy them all to Power BI, unless, Power BI dashboard truly takes the place of the SSRS Reporting porting...which I don't think makes sense for the Power BI product.

Far more critial is an SSRS PaaS offering and then sure, integrate dashboards and reports between them when and where it makes sense.

• Giampaolo Pitzalis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest to develop a "special version" of Report Builder integrated in Power BI Service. Datasources should be automatically configured in each report to access to existing PBI Workspace Datasets and a developer should be able to write dax queries to get data from them. Actually is very unhandy to print reports and everytime users must do it have to use a local Excel (using the odc connection) to do that in a efficient way.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Azure Data Factory now supporting SSIS, SSRS is the one gap in being able to move the full BI stack to a PaaS solution. Having support for paginated reports in the Power BI Service would fill that gap.

Power BI should be the access point for all reports, including ssrs paginated reports

• John Guilbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update....come on. It's been a while lads. We are starting to get a lot of legacy SharePoint 2007 R2 with SSRS integration. We need support for this or at least advice on a suitable third-party tool who you are partnered with!

• Jaco Ipsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i vote for this as Connection a data feed from SSRS to a clients Power Bi is giving our customers a good options to create what ever they need :)

• David Vinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously - this should be second nature - I should at least be able to create an atomsvc file with SSRS reports and import them directly into PowerBI. To make it truly seamless, it would be great to be able to import the SSRS report definition into PowerBI as a start for a template for a data model. Please update ASAP

I can pull data from SSRS, Inside Excel 2013. I need the same option Inside Power BI Desktop

• Filious Louis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those who don't want to have an on-prem solution, it'd be nice to have the option of publishing SSRS reports directly to Power BI Service.

hi there,

After installing powerBI for SSRS server and creating new PowerBIReportSever database
        And Installing Power BI for report server with no issue
        When I try to save the file into report serve I'm getting Server is not reachable
        What is the correct path? I do have an instance ServerName\Dev2016 and my database is PowerBIReportServer

Thanks,
        Oded Dror

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.