How can we improve Power BI?

Data Catalog integration in PowerBI Designer

The PowerBI Designer is missing integration with the Data Catalog and there is no online search functionality. The data catalog is a core component of the reporting solution so let me use it with the Power BI Designer

509 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ron Pooters shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kell Aurisch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi there
        Can you please let me know if we have a resolution on this? Currently just copy and paste from the Advance editor is the quickest option but being able to share the queries with others in the company would be more than "handy". Cheers

• RCrav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any official Microsoft response to this? Is it on your Roadmap? If yes, is there an ETA? Thanks!

• Ed H-B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just came back to this same issue after posting an initial comment 2 years ago to find that a user friendly solution to this fundamental daftness still hasn't been implemented by Microsoft. So we're off to find another non-MS product that will deliver, which is a shame as PQ and PBI are both good products (independently of themselves!)

• Marwan Jubran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PBI should support consuming queries from data catalog, the underlying M language source code is identical!

• Patrick Sura commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Fred Kaffenberger That works, wow! But quite complicated and not the preferred way for standard users.

• Fred Kaffenberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To use a shared query in Power BI currently, you have to open Excel, Data tab on the ribbon, Get Data, Data Catalog Search, Load a Query (likely connection only); edit the workbook query, pop out the query list, right click, copy. Then go to Power BI, edit queries, and paste. Then, repeat every time you want to use a shared query.

• Jim Santiago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In order to completely deportment Power BI and enable users to be self-service having a data Catalog is a must.

• Marty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are being asked for this functionality almost every time we demo models. This is definitely necessary to improve Power BI's positioning as an industry leader in Business Intelligence.

• Adam Harper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

edited - actually looked up how many employees the companies had and reduced to the number that would actually utilize this feature.

Can I add 100k+ votes for my previous company, about 100k for their suppliers/customers and the same for my current company and ~50k more across my consulting clients?

Every one of these companies would vote for all of their employees to utilize this feature.

• Hans Kristiansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having an enterprise-wide list of all of the data sources used for reporting and analysis and making that list available to everyone using Power BI will help people discover, gain access to and understand data sources they may not have known existed, and in turn increase the value of the reports they create.

Consider using Azure Data Catalog, a cloud-based service for cataloguing all the data assets in your organization, to store your inventory of data sources.

• Bill logsdon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integration between PowerBI and Azure Data Catalog is really important for both products in the long term. Can you please work with the ADC team to facilitate this very important feature

• Doug Newton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a glaring gap with PBI. We need an easy way for PBI users to pick from an existing, curated, blessed list of:

- Data sources/connections, and,
        - Queries/data sets

These should be shared objects so that if they're changed in one central place, all dashboards get updated.

Without this, everyone is recreating the wheel, and a "single version of the truth" is all but impossible.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.