How can we improve Power BI?

Slicer Hierarchy

Dragging a hierarchy into a report and change it to slicer... can we get a slicer with hierarchy (collapsible/expandable)?

1,457 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derrick Han shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree something like the Hierarchy Slicer in the custom visuals is what we want, but there are definite performance issues compared the built-in slicers. Microsoft, can we please get a built-in solution?

• Jeff Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, we're currently having to split out a three-level hierarchy into three slicers. Due to the lack of screen real-estate that's not really acceptable. It doesn't even function in the visual/page/report level filters, so that's not a particularly palatable workaround either.

• Ozlem Ozgur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

I've used this feature. It is very helpful I agree. There are some visual and functional issues with the visual.
    1. When not all of the secondary level items selected top level check box still shows like all of them selected.
    2. even top level item selected and secondary level shown selected for all of the item when the data refreshed and new item appear on secondary level it is not selected.

• Stuart Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be excellent. There is already a custom visual that can do this, so all that needs is to add a show / hide button so it doesn't take up too much room on the report page, as per the current slicer delivered visual.

• Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it under review since December 2014? I still don't see that!!! Please do that, it's very useful.

• Andrejs Gordijenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is really needed! There is a custom visual for this, but this should be a part of OOTB functionality in Power BI

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed that this is still needed. Custom visuals are great and very useful in certain places, but we are uncomfortable with rolling out dashboards to the business containing visualizations that are not officially supported.

The other thing we still need is the ability to filter the options that are given by the slicers so that not everything is visible for selection. We used to be have a workaround for this where you could flip it to a table and then add a filter, then flip it back. I cna no longer do this.

• Sohail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi All,

In think Hierarchy Slicer Published by Jan Pieter Posthuma is good. we should mark it as completed. Thank you!

Regards
    Sohial

The Hierarchy Slicer in the custom visuals gallery is a great example of how to accomplish this idea in Power Bi. Something similar to that custom visual but officially supported would be great.

• Xiang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

power BI connect SSAS cube mode tabular no hierarchy !!!!
    pls add it!

• ZLJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is now a hierarchy slicer available in custom visuals. Been playing with it today and its not perfect, but has helped improve my reports immensely.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much needed feature. Ideally we could also use this kind of like the existing Chiclet slicer (use images as well as text, etc...). We have deep/ragged hierarchies all over our organization (customers, users, management, products, etc...). SUPER HELPFUL and necessary. Should also honor existing SSAS hierarchies in addition to 'manually' created hierarchies. Support in PowerBI desktop too please.

Please add this feature. I just want to be able to have a slicer for Year / Month

Please, please implement this. We have clients with very deep hierarchies that they want to explore. Having 7 slicers on page is unworkable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.