How can we improve Power BI?

Slicer Hierarchy

Dragging a hierarchy into a report and change it to slicer... can we get a slicer with hierarchy (collapsible/expandable)?

1,457 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Derrick Han shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

looking at an inventory folder hierarchy of 9 deep. There needs to be a better way to handle this.

• Bill Brennum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this functionality. There is a marketplace Hierarchy slicer that is not available to synch slicers

• Scott Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea has multiple great points. The most obvious is that we can reduce the number of slicers on a report. But it hopefully would also allow us to easily make data selections that are otherwise tricky (for instance, select a group of items that mixes values at different levels).

Scott

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will free up a ton of space on my dashboard. I can combine 5 slicers into one. Please!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the new ability to "sync slicers" this is needed more than ever.

The custom Hierarchy Slicer is such a staple for users that I'm shocked MS hasn't updated their own by now.

• Joel Faltermeier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone please bring this one back up from the dead?! Under review Dec. 2014. 3 years later?

As others noted, Custom Hierarchy slicer has many issues and limitations.

• Graesham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The custom visual hierarchy slicer is no longer working, so we really need the feature asap

• Stuart Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Under Review" since 2014? This is a very important piece of basic functionality, please keep considering. Most of it is already available with the custom hierarchy slicer - we pretty much need the same just with a collapsible option so it doesn't take up too much space on the report.

• Will Charsley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have multi level product hierarchy (Total>Category> Sub Category 1> Sub Category 2> Merchandise Area > Planning Group > Sub Planning Group > SKU). Basically, we need 6 or 7 slicers just for our Products, meaning we seriously lack space for much else on the screen. We really need this!

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that a hierarchy slicer makes a lot of sense for basic functionality.

• Jeff Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Custom visual seems to become broken as of late - scroll bar not working, error when opening in PBI Desktop - so need for this improvement has increased

• Gérald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suggest two improvements :
    1) combinate "text" and "numerical" values, i mean : first level hierarchy = check boxes for texte values as name for a range of nurmeric values, second level = numeric value, with the ability to use "between" like in regular nurmerical slicer
    2) ability to use the scroll list like in a regular slicer.

• efi goldman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use today the custom visual: Hierarchy slicer. It has issues. And doesn't support lots of members, sorting etc.
    Please help us here this means a lot to my clients.

• Jared Knutzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredibly helpful. I find myself going to the custom visuals to get this - but they don't work as well, they don't look/feel the same as built-in slicer options, and they aren't as reliable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.