How can we improve Power BI?

Ability to add Feedback or Questions on Dashboard

Would be great if we had a notes area of the Dashboard for people to leave comments or questions about the content on the Dashboard. Same would be true for the PowerView Reports, except have them rollup in the Dashboard area.

601 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kevin Mullins shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Tien Dung Thoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While waiting for the final solution, integrating Power BI with Microsoft Teams makes a nice collaborative sort of setup: it's no pain, and the more conservative customers like it.

• Dave Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Embedding social into analytics dashboards is essential. How about native support for embedding Power Bi into Yammer ?

• MadsBoegh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great if you fused in some functionality from Cortana. Say a senior staff asks a question, Cortana should suggest a answer which you could either verify, alter or discard and enter one manually.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are new PowerBI users and being able to comment and collaborate are vital to making the product work for us. Has there been any updates to this thread?

• Carlos Letona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Besides displaying great information, we need to share comments on the spot.
    How can we have this feature rolling in Dashboards and Reports? It is very important.

• German Henriquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I imagine the following:
    A button in the ribbon called " Start discussion". This button to put a snapshoot of the current view in the beginning of the discussion panel. Then the user who start the discussion has to title the discussion and to write first comment. Then the users who are shared the report have to recieve an email with a notification about the new discussion and invite them to comment too. The email should have a link.
    I also imagine an integretion the new tool called "Microsoft Team"

Under review since Nov 2014, Planned May 2016... any update on delivery? Oct 2018?

• Shivani Davar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was integrating Microsoft power bi with Facebook to see the likes of a personality. But instead of getting the total likes i the category with ids gets imported.What can be the error

The comments/ feedback / discussion feature creates a 3 dimensional BI platform where its not just "me and the Dashboard", but "Us and the Dash". We all know what the other thinks while subconsciously realizing that we are all engaged.

Absolutely critical

• German Henriquez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When a user make a comment in a report o dashboard, It should be notified by email to all user who are shared this dashboard or report.
    Or a button to créate a email with de image of the report attached
    The integration with yammer is also a good idea, but there are some old user for whom is to hard incorpórate new tools. for this kind of is better and easier to use email yet.

• Data Consultant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Capture comment, name (or user id) of person making the comment, and date-time of comment. Display in area of report where the report creator has reserved space for this need, and/or allow option for a pop-up of comments when clicked on to save space on report page / tile. Associate comments to the report or dashboard object for retrieval later. Otherwise this tool loses out to other tools... This goes same for Write Back feature too. Users want to enter parameters or scenarios and see how the resulting analysis (projection) changes. That is "BI". Otherwise it is just reporting and fancy visualizations without any real decision support use.

• Qurat ul Ain Zafar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is absolutely essential. As most people have already pointed out in this thread, what we want is an ability for the user to report his/her questions to the team behind reporting in PowerBI with ease. So the method has to be quick and should be able to save context (which visual was clicked in which report and the email id if the user is using the online service) Please let me know when we can expect it.

Meanwhile, is there a workaround for it?

• Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Important! Feedback/Comments needed not only on Dashboard but also on Reports!
    please cover both
    Thanks

• Fritz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I agree with Sanjay,
    Comments should be saved in contexts to the filters applied, when entered.
    When selecting the comment the filters should be applied in the view.
    Meta Data to the Comment should be stored (date/time, user)
    Additional Meta Data should be possible to configure (e.g. Reporting Period, Rating etc.)
    This Meta data then needs to be analyzable in PowerBI connected to the data it was created for (Ratings, Categories etc.)

This is a very important function to help PowerBI become widely used in our organization, especially when used in Management reviews, where numbers always need to be explained (why under Target etc.) and these explanations need to be documented.

• Sanjay Shah, Pune, India commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The comment stored should be context sensitive. What i mean is that if I have selected a set of filters, then i should be able to save this "view" using a name. The comments should be connected to this name. I should be able to send this "name" to another person and when that person opens the report, the filters based on this "name" are restored and he is able to see the comments and also further comment.

I would like to have the option to "markup" a chart (like mobile) and that is nice, but what our org really NEEDS is the ability to comment per line.

An example being a sales report, we need the ability for people to go in and flag each line with a comment and write that back somewhere. The point being they would want to flag bad sales and explain why and tag GOOD sales and ...also explain why.

• Erika Steffins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, I think it would be very useful for users to be able to comment with questions on the dashboards/reports. It would also be a nice addition to this if they could then *tag* people in the comments by email address or name and then that person would get an email notification of the comment.

• Stephen_Rasey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I read this as the ability to see and ADD comments that are tied to the displayed DATA. In short, a tile can be a web page specified by a URL constructed from selected and/or filtered fields of the data. Select data, refresh the web page tile, enter data to update a database all on one screen.

• Caleb Blanton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Additional feedback:

The Microsoft Power BI team already decided not to re-invent this wheel and is using what appears to be a white-labeled version of User Voice for these forums.

Why not integrate with User Voice? Each dashboard could be its own unique User Voice category of ideas, within which people can collaborate. Have some "Live Pin" ability in a dashboard to show these discussions inline and allow for jumping out to the discussion site. Report authors can define certain things about their User Voice account to enable them to white-label these discussions, etc.

Could enable taking action items from report observations and even tracking the status of those ideas. Great data insights have one purpose: To empower great decisions. Great decisions take solid data as well as collaboration on ideas, prioritization and tracking. All of which are already done in a thousand different flavors online.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.