How can we improve Power BI?

Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

2,425 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

192 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Henrik Hougaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good news. I have build several reports all with 3-4 Visuals each. They all take advantage of the great drill Down function but it's very confusing for the users to have to active drill then drill down the hiacracy then deactive drill Down to have the Visuals syncronize.

The drill Down function syncronising on all present Visuals in the report is at "must have" - the sonner the better :-)

• Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need the possibility to drill down and cross-filter by clicking on multiple visuals.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep us posted with any progress on this. It is hugely important to get this asap.

• TZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for the feature. This would help close the gap between PowerBI and Tableau so hopefully this feature can move up in the priority list as I imagine a lot of BI analysts want to include in their respective projects. Lots of demand for this.

• VickyD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Will Thompson

Can you provide more details on exactly how the team is planning to implement this. I think this is perhaps the most crucial feature and needs to be implemented right. Not sure the description of this idea is clearly stating the cross-filter aspect so want to be sure. From a cross-filtering standpoint, the scenario is

- I have a chart with say 4 visuals
        - I click on say a bar within Chart 1 -> All the visuals filter accordingly
        - I then click on a column in Chart 2 -> All visuals filter based on the selection in Chart 1 and Chart 2 (currently chart 1 filter goes away at this point)

Basically, filters need to stick or there needs to be an ability for the user to maybe pin a filter. Latter option would be more flexible.

• Sakshi Goel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drill down should cross-filter other visualization.I need this feature for my web analytics.This will help me to use Filled map as a filter.and multi selection of state,city in case of drill down is also required.Please let me know when are u releasing this feature?It will be a great help and contribution from your side.

• Anthony Cipolla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

....just discovered that Pivot Table Drill downs don't affect other visuals!!!! Looks likes this is affecting lots of folks.... Please can this be reprioritised????

• Ryan Holt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any further progress on this? This is currently VITAL to our fault analysis of equipment failures. This is a must have for us. As mentioned below Tableau already does this and if we cant get it in PowerBI may have to change back to Tableau.

• Saur Dash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have just had to massively limit the interactivity of a dashboard I have built for my company due to this missing vital component. This functionality is integral to the Power BI user experience and I am stunned that it still hasn't been implemented.

Hi, Is there any way we can sort this out? or like in how much time will this be available? I am facing the same issue.

I transitioned from Tableau to PowerBI and this feature was very good which gives a very interactive experience to users. Users also like it instead of selecting multiple drop down filters...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.