How can we improve Power BI?

Drill-down should drill or cross-filter other visualizations on the page

I have a report page with multiple charts and visualizations. Let's say one of the chart shows Sales by Year and I drill down into 2013 to see the sales by month in 2013. Currently, the drill-down has no effect on the other charts and visualizations on the page; they still show data for all years, not just for 2013. Instead, I'd like other charts to drill down into 2013 or filter by 2013 as well.

2,301 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Riccardo MutiAdminRiccardo Muti (Admin, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone. We’ve been investigating how this could work in Power BI and have a better handle on it now. It’s definitely here on our backlog although there are many other items we’re prioritizing higher (just take a look at the other ideas we’ve marked as “Started”!). 

Thanks for your support of this idea – and stay tuned for more updates in the coming months.

Will

165 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alexandre RezendeAlexandre Rezende commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree with @Katie Hamilton. This feature is already implemented so nicely in Qlik Sense. In fact, multiple-cross filtering among visuals is the default behavior in Qlik Sense. This tool also show the multiple filters applied do the dashboard allowing the user to remove all filters at once one filter one by one.

I am currently in charge of comparing Power BI with Qlik Sense for my organization. I have shown this feature to our senior managers and they were very impressed on how easily the get insights from the data.

I am sure this is an important feature and it will be strongly considered when choosing which BI tool our organization will use.

• Katie HamiltonKatie Hamilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is EXTREMELY important to our organization and has been one of our bigger frustrations. It is confusing for the user to lose their filter selections, often times without realizing it. This really limits the functionality of the visuals and requires us to bring in page filters or slicers to give our users the functionality they need. Please add this as soon as possible!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge need for an interactive dashboard! Let's get it into the "Started" Phase!

• Laurence FerreiraLaurence Ferreira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

When is this planned to be implemented? As you can see, it is a very high requirement and has been raised a long time ago.

Thanks.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please get this one 'started'. Without it, as cool as this tool is, it doesn't apply for the majority of reports I need to create.

• RobinRobin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I strongly believe that this use case would be strongly supportive for users. Basically it would truly bring a rich interactive drill through experience. My assumption is that you would make the Edit Interaction and enable that Drill through flows through to the other visualization, conditional on that the same dimensional hierarchy is used, but other measures. So basically a chart with Drill down, Edit Interactions, and have a check-box which says Drill-down on the Interaction that it has with other graphs.

You guys are doing great work on Power BI, and really look forward to this feature!

• Nigel MurdochNigel Murdoch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar situation where a Pie Chart filters a Total on a related Card visualization correctly in Filter mode but not after drilling down to a lower level. I agree that this should be a higher priority.

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As another user mentioned, I'm just now learning Power BI and literally during my first report I've discovered this does not work. This should be very basic. There is no reason cross-filtering shouldn't work on drill-down.

Our reporting is hierarchy dependent, and drilling down and up through data should update all other visuals. In my case, I have a simple table of details below a chart. This works great if no drill-down is necessary. This should be a high priority.

• Kevin WhiteKevin White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like core functionality which should have been a part of the drilldown feature when it was first created, especially considering how interactivity is such a huge part of Power BI! Please add asap!

I'm currently helping to make a business-wide decision about whether we go Tableau or Power BI - this looks like it might be the deal breaker that sends us to Tableau. We're clearly not the only ones who needs this, it's the most voted for feature! When will this be ready, we really need this feature?

• Harry LeboeufHarry Leboeuf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Might be great to introduce also some smart-leveling as you can in Qlik.
        What I mean by that is when on a axis there is a hierarchy and by filtering the 'page' with a slicer (ex only 1 month selected) the visual shouldn't display thear Year anymore, nor the month (because all just 1 column or dot) but directly go into the days level.
        Same with categories/Sub/subsub .....

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone. We need this. I currently have multiple reports/dashboards that have charts and it is very annoying having to drill down into each one individually.

Hi Will,
        Has this feature been implemented yet please?
        Thanks for your reply.
        Kind regards,
        Yogesh

• Scott LongScott Long commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently have multiple reports that need this functionality. This enhancement will achieve the 'Data Discovery' platform that you are looking for because it will allow you to slice across many levels visually to narrow down you search to a small group of items. If we don't have it people will just dump the data in excel once they realize the limitations...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.