How can we improve Power BI?

Decomposition Tree Visualization Type

Multiple requests from groups that would like to see a decomposition tree. Typically they are from Proclarity/PerformancePoint world.

4,531 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jen Underwood shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

173 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • master@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow as suggested by me the visual is AI driven, Great Work, Power BI Team.
    I one most requested feature from my Clients is incremental load within the Pro account it would be great if we can get that feature soon. Thanks Power BI Team for Great Work.

• Gord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will it work on an on-premise Report Server with a limited functionality (no AI features)?

• Christian Eriksen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see the work made on this. The preview presented was definitely a move in the right direction, in terms of the visual.

One comment - happy for this to be an 'AI' visual. However, it MUST support DirectQuery.
    It is such a shame that these great visuals cannot be rolled out to client using DirectQuery connections (in our case - DQ to Azure SQL Database).

Just want to reinforce - this visual is one of the most wanted ideas on the forum. Don't reduce the usage of such a fantastic visual, by limiting it to who can use it.

Must support DirectQuery.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look forward to the decomposition tree visualization availability in power bi, it will be a winner.

I can summarize how it should work, it should work as well as the Performance point version when properly configured.

• Justyna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are interested in providing feedback on how the decomposition tree should behave in Power BI please reach out to me at juluczni@microsoft.com. I am looking to schedule some 1:1 calls (or focus groups depending on the amount of interest generated). We have lots of exciting options under consideration and would love to hear your thoughts!

• Mike Lombardi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will really help out clients that a looking for a truly intuitive drill down feature on metrics/measures. Clients expect to be able to click on a metric and then choose the drill down path. This would really help stop clients going..."oh but in this tool I just right click and drill down based on x dimension". The visual aspects to this needs to be customisable in terms of tooltips, measures and items to display and controlling the level of drill down allowed.

I agree with the comments below

This is great news, but the visual needs fully interactive capabilities in order to be a real breakthrough. Without the ability to slice & dice the data, it won't be nearly as useful
    and will command less user adoption

Hope it gets bumped up the list

• Mark Stacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YAY!!! AWESOME.
    Please make it a fully active visual, with the ability to slice other visuals by clicking, have right click drill through to other pages, allow tooltips, like a native custom visual.
    Don't give us the half-hearted "here's a pop up to look at, but doesn't interact with anything" that disappointed us so with the decomp. tree in Performance Point

I can't help believing decomposition trees are way more value than what is being prioritized. I guess not enough folks have been exposed to decomposition trees in the past to understand their value and hence other not so great features get more votes and hence priority :-(

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.