How can we improve Power BI?

Text wrap in tables, cards, etc.! -- in dashboards and reports.

I created an Excel workbook with an XML feed from A.W.rd.A.Day: http://wordsmith.org/awad/rss1.xml. I created a table in PV; text in the description of the word is cut off. I upload to PBI and create a tile. Text in the tile is also cut off. Not cool!

2,958 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Maggie SparkmanMaggie Sparkman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

176 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on the below, critical needs and gaps? When will the next release by? Thank you.

• Russell GeorgeRussell George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

thanks for the row header wrap feature. Now, as others have suggested, please extend this switch to column headers also.

• JohnJohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like that this is being implemented! At the moment the row header wrap does not seem to work if it a single row with now sub categories. Is it possible to make the row header wrap for a single line?

• Leah HLeah H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add column header wrapping for a matrix similar to the table header function. (Though full wrapping functionality is needed soon as well.) This really impacts the way we are able (or unable) to name variables, and how much space we have to use for a table or matrix on a page.

• BeccaBecca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing the wrap happen within the table cells themselves.

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The text wrapping is a great addition...but for me, when it comes to header and column layout esthetics, the left justification of headers is just awful! If you have a numeric table field that justifies to the right and a larger header that justifies to the left, the column looks terrible. At the very least headers should default to center justification. Any plan to make this change down the road?

• GabrielGabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK good Amanda. Pretty basic function one would think for Microsoft for many years

• knoxcmknoxcm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY GOD.... wasn't wrapping text in a cell available in Lotus 123 in the 80s? Come on MS, this is a no brainer and the type of thing that should have launched in the first beta.

• HibaHiba commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a word wrap option for Card titles but it doesn't work yet

Amanda, this release is far from cutting it per the comments below, while we appreciate MSFT at least moved 26 months since the first request :)....MSFT has to really start taking this seriously and release the full functional capabilities as defined in the requirements - full word map within the headers, tables themselves, matrices and cards. This is basic version 1.0 functionality and not having this is killing our adoption. We are on your team but very very frustrated at the lack of real progress here - frankly embarrassing to MSFT; by default - embarrassing to us as hit this gap to our users well.

• Jasneet WaliaJasneet Walia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power BI is gorgeous little kid but you should stop training it for masters degree until it clears Year 1 first (Word Wrap).

• JoeJoe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a Fortune 500 company and my job is to go out and promote this tool to demonstrate it's value. People love the power of connecting to almost anything, massaging the data via power query interface, and are blown away by the power of M when showing them more advanced data manipulating concepts. Then I get to the big "pop" by showing how easy it is to build tables/charts/etc... and they ask the obvious question of "Can you make that column smaller and word wrap it?" and I'm literally stuck saying the same thing OVER and OVER, "yeah...so that's a feature they're working on but it's not available yet." PLEASE get this basic functionality implemented.

Please implement this BASIC FEATURE asap. I know you guy are working hard, but you absolutely have to get the basics right and fast. As mentioned below by others, it is hard to push the use of PowerBI when the most basic things that everyone will see are not right. Text wrapping is not new! Having e.g. customer names in a list being cut off is just not an option.

• Dave PhillipsDave Phillips commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for releasing Table Header Word Wrap. However this feature does not publish properly to the cloud. It only wraps at the Desktop layer. Was this intended?

• David TerwilligerDavid Terwilliger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I downloaded the latest update (Version: 2.42.4611.701 64-bit (January, 2017)) and rebooted my pc but still don't have the ability to wrap the header text. Auto Size columns is set to Off but the option to wrap columns does not appear under the Column Headers section.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.