How can we improve Power BI?

Global filter in dashboards

Allow me to pin a filter to the dashboard that can be associated with one or more pinned dashboard KPIs.

4,111 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Doug Dixon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

364 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assumed this would be part of the dashboard. Made three 'tiles' or pages, had a slicer in each one for each site I manage, then found the 'Sync Slicer' option and it worked great. Within PowerBI desktop.

However, when i made a dashboard out of the three tiles, the two that had the hidden synced slicer did not update. They actually only show the last published version from PowerBI desktop and don't even change with the tile being refreshed within the service.

It seems strange to allow synced slicers across multiple pages within a report, but not allow those sliders to update the full dashboard. This would really be helpful, the only other way around it is to make the dashboard look clunky by adding the slicer back to each of the three tiles.

Please add this functionality!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dashboards are faster when a report needs to show a lot of data and visuals. I originally tried a custom page size 10 times longer than wide, filled it up with everything I needed and it was very...very ...very slow. Scrolling down the page was basically impossible and that was using a premium workspace. I had to move to multiple pages in the report using a synced slicer. Moving those pages back to the dashboard using the pin live page made scrolling through a full report much easier...BUT...this is where the synced slicers across the dashboard would come in handy. If you can't do the synced filters then maybe you could at least pass through the last users filter selection like what is done now. In my example, I create a common report for multiple markets across the country. Each market could go into the Report directly and set their market filter. It stays on their last selection when they come back to the report, it should be a minor thing to pass that same stored selection to the dashboard when they open it. Right now filter selections that get pass with the live page are the defaults selected when the report was last editied.

• Ryan Paquette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having this functionality seems obvious... a no brainer. Yet the Idea is closed with no plans to ever do it... seems odd.

Please add this.. syncing slicers across different tiles on dashboard is important.

Dashboard filters would be valuable for those cases where you have multiple end users of various reports best consumed in the context of dashboards. Group 1 could be consuming report A and C while Group 2 could be consuming A and B. This allows me to publish to multiple work-spaces and not have to create aggregate reports separately for each group to consume independently.

There is not enough room on a report page for several needed slicers AND graphs big enough to actually read. Either enable a single report page canvas to lengthen and scroll, or address this request which was "planned" years ago.

• James Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't want to allow the dashboard tiles to interact, it might be nice to add more real estate down the page. Otherwise, if you have slicers or filters, one must repeat on mutiple tabs.

• Imtiaz Hussain commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power BI's reputation is suffering without this. Dashboards promise much, Service defaults to Dashboards after all, but deliver mostly pointless aggregated data without slicers/filters. MS - sometimes the Next Big Thing is not what users need. Address some fundamental issues first with your product first. This should not be a vanity project for developers. If there are technical reasons why dashboard slicers/filters are not possible, just own up and say it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.