How can we improve Power BI?

Dynamic column name update in dashboard/reports

When ever the field/column name will be changed/updated in the source. The same should be updated automatically with the next refresh in the data model as well as in all the objects we have used in reports/dashboards. This facility is available in QlikView.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sukanta shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sukanta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought I should give some more light on this Idea. Suppose we have a common application for many teams of a company. Different teams might have different field names e.g. Team B = Emp ID and Team A = Employee ID. So, we should have a flag in our query for each team. For Team A if we will select Flag=1 then the report objects should be updated with Employee ID. And for Team B if we will select Flag=2 then the report objects should be updated with Emp ID. I have tried this in QlikView which worked fine. But in Power BI I just updated the Advanced editor with below code

#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Changed Type",Table.ToRows(Table1))
    in
    #"Renamed Columns"

This updated the field names in the tables. But the objects I have used in the reports are not getting updated automatically. They are showing error as the earlier names are updated with new names after the above code.
    In My example I have two tables. One is having data with common fields e.g. Field1 ,Field2 etc. The second table has the same common field names. But their values are the real required field names with flag as per different teams as I have written above.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.