How can we improve Power BI?

Dataflows data types parity with Power Query

Dataflows should have parity with Power Query when it comes to data types.

Currently, dates are converted to datetime and fixed decimal numbers are converted to decimal numbers. Time does not work at all.

I haven't tested all other data types, so I don't know if these three types (date, time, fixed decimal number) are all we need.

42 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Daniil shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Much needed, especially date is needed. After referencing a entity in another dataflow or in pbi desktop it converts back to datetime..

• Daniil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous the data type parity issue is not fixed, as far as I'm aware. So you get DateTime instead of Date at the moment.

What I referred to on the Issues website was the locale issue: there were errors when using US/Rest of the world date formats (MDY vs DMY). Here is the link for anyone curious: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Dataflows-sets-data-types-incorrectly/idi-p/575824

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Danill, it seems I'm still experiencing the wrong Date type issue - a field appears to be correct Date type field in Data Flow, however, when loaded the data flow into PBI Desktop, such filed becomes DateTime field (12:00:00.00 is automatically added).

I read through your previous post regarding to this issue and the status was "fixed".

• Daniil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time has since been partially fixed -- now it is converted to DateTime.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.