How can we improve Power BI?

One single schedule task for sequential refresh of both Dataflows + Dataset

The biggest thing that I’m missing is the ability to schedule a Dataflow, plus a Dataset (without Premium capacity). Now you can schedule both separately, but not in an automated sequential way.

https://ssbipolar.com/2018/11/24/whats-missing-from-power-bi-dataflows/

87 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

KA shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

really need it, an automated trigger to all the report built on dataflow when the last one refreshes!

• Joshua Chartier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Some optionality to cascade refreshes would really make things easier. Whether it's a push from dataflows to datasets (or other dataflows) as described by Kirsty, or a pull model from dataset or dataflows to the dataflows they depend on, cascading refreshes would really simplify the usage of dataflows. And I agree with the Anonymous comment that you'd have to include opt in permissions from both sides of the push or pull relationship so you don't allow unwanted refreshes.

While I agree with the comments below, I think there may be cases where an automatic push from the dataflow to a dependent dataset might not be desired, so having the option to set a dataset as "yes, automatically ingest new dataflow data once the dataflow's refresh completes" or "no, I'll manage the refresh of the dataset myself" might be useful.

• Jake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea. Having to set this option both in dataflows and datasets is a bit of a pain.
    If you could enable the dataset to run a refresh as soon as the dataflow has completed would be a good step forward.

• Kirsty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree with this! The benefit of Dataflow is consistent data, but I'm going to have to put a lot of effort into aligning the models in different Workspaces to refresh at the same time AND after the Dataflow completes. An optional push option where it forces updates in the workspace model after data is updated in Dataflows.

• Deepak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great step towards easing/automating the management of PBI data model refreshes.

A much needed feature that would further boost the capabilities (almost end to end)

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.