How can we improve Power BI?

Allow non-admins to see enterprise gateways in dataflow creation

According to my experience and the documentation, only admins of enterprise gateways can see gateways during the dataflow creation process. Can this not be opened up to report authors as well? Our enterprise gateway is controlled by IT and has one or two administrators. "Self-service ETL" won't be realized unless report authors can create dataflows using the enterprise gateway.

105 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Joel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we please be careful with the options around this. As the keeper of the enterprise data governance, i use dataflows as a way to open up safe governed datasets to the business users, mastered from the data warehouse and leveraging the existing ETL work. If anyone can create a dataflow then we're back to data governance issues. As admins we really need the ability to control who can create dataflows. Fine if that's a few more than have access to the EGW but please can we put this in the tenant settings or somewhere.

• Matt Bleiweiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any updates as to timing of this feature? It is critical in order for my organization to begin utilizing data flows

• Jack Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see progress is being made on this one. I think this will give a boost to the potential capabilities of citizen developers.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's great to see this as 'started'. I run into this problem fairly frequently now as Dataflows are getting more and more usage in my organization. Happy to see it's made the list.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

so far, I voted yes. but wondering what are the considerations from the other to design so?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For now, as the preview version, to create an on-premise dataflows, it requires the permission to have the gateway admin permission, which contradicts the idea of self-service BI. Hopefully, gateway admin permission is not necessary as long as this user has the "use" permission on this gateway.
    ---------------------------------
    Quote "Only gateways for which the user is an administrator appear in the drop-down list."
    from the document link, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-dataflows-on-premises-gateways#using-an-on-premises-data-source-in-a-dataflow

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is an important one. As users/authors, we are closest to the data and what we need it to do. For example, there is a very specific data table that I've developed based on our internal data and some M code. In order to share it (and any subsequent tweaks) I share M code directly which creates a variety of problems. This could be alleviated in Dataflows. However, we can't do this as we're not Admins to the gateway. Let's change that so we can democratize the data, please.

• Jack Wells commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's crazy that I can create multiple datasets that query the same datasource through a gateway but I can't setup a dataflow to reduce the duplication of these queries.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.