How can we improve Power BI?

Add expand/collapse feature to column headers

Vote on this idea if you want expand/collapse on column headers in the matrix similar to what was shipped for row headers in November (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-november-2018-feature-summary/#expandCollapse).

451 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminAmanda Cofsky (Program Manager, Microsoft Power BI) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SamRock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You read my mind!

When Expand/Collapse was announced , I honestly thought we would be able to do it on both rows and Columns. I was disappointed when it was Rows only.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to expand and collapse columns is a critical feature for finance and operational reporting where hierarchies are used (e.g. time - months, quarter, years).

• Roopali Negi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would highly recommend & desperately waiting for this functionality release. Most of the time client has requirement to expand/collapse @ column header level, but due to unavailability of this feature we push for row functionality. This drives the client little away as they has to adjust in requirements.

• Alfonso Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. First of all the expand/collapse on Rows is GREAT!.

I would like it also on Columns.
        Right now I am doing a Sales Dashboard and I need to add a + sign to expand to show UNITS as well as the Sales Amount. So I definitely think it would be a great add.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

now that this feature was released i'm kind of disappointed because DOES NOT WORK for multidimensional cubes!!!!

Are you have an estimated date when it is going to be available for multidimensional cubes (MD)?

• Andreas S. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time examples have already been posted and valid for me as well. Beside that I'd like to generally be able to show aggregated information in columns which are shown per default, but add additional information for the user in per default hidden columns beside, which the user can expand if he's interested in (to give one other example: to e.g. see which orders on hand are already confirmed, overdue, etc.)

• Joost.Groothuizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here... we discussed a case: Weeks in the columns and the possibility to +(show) the single days of only the last week.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.