How can we improve Power BI?

share dataset across different workspaces

There should be a way to share datasets across the different workspaces. This may be loaded to a global environment and related to capacity, it would use the capacity based on which workspace accesses it.

The benefit of this is to maintain some master datasets with calculations within them which can be joined to data from individual departmental data. Moreover this will eliminate the need of Analysis services and creating a refresh mechanism for it.

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Siddhartha Mohapatra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kevin H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I have a large dataset with incremental refresh. The datasets, and their frequent refreshes, consume a lot of our Premium capacity. And because I have two different workspaces with different requirements, I have to publish a copy of this dataset in each workspace. It would be ideal if I could just publish and refresh the dataset in one place, but be able to access it from multiple workspaces.

• Jeff Gilbertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Workspaces should have two environments. One for QA/Staging, and another for Production. Only the admin can promote dashboards/reports to Production. The data sets do not change in Production until the admin has promoted the dashboard/report.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.