How can we improve Power BI?

Fix Releative Date Slicer / UTC issue.

I know I can change my data to be reflected in UTC but then i suddenly show, for example, Invoices paid Septmeber 30th as being paid in October. this is so wrong!

You simply need to change PBI where date slicers are reflecting local time and not UTC. I cannot display all of our financial data improperly (as UTC).

58 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Scott White shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setting the Power BI Service to local time is required. When connected to an SSAS live connection, a DAX formula can't be used as a work around.

• Aaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not believe that the comment/formula below will work correctly in most circumstances.

"UTC Time = IF(hour(NOW()) < 11,[Date]-1,[Date])"

Reason being is the the relative dates for which to compare are calculated on the service before being compared to your data. For example, assuming UTC is ahead of your local time zone, the relative filter "Last Month (Calendar)" would prematurely flip over to looking at next month's data. The suggested formula approach could only fix the data for a particular relative time frame at best. This issue is exclusively on the service and can only be fixed by Microsoft. Truly, is a bug fix request and not a feature enhancement.

Please see the main idea that has the most votes so far:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/32123752-power-bi-service-recognize-local-time-zone-for-tod

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ok, I did a work around to the bug by adding this column (I am in AEST daylight savings):

UTC Time = IF(hour(NOW()) < 11,[Date]-1,[Date])

And using this column to do the relative date slicer on.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.