How can we improve Power BI?

Email notifications on auto-refresh failure

The scheduled data source failure notification is only sent to the data source owner, it would be more useful if you could specify the recipient(S) or group.

709 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Chris Forbes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sireesha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, the notification should be sent to all admins and/or to a specific group

• J.gzz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this would be a useful option, by the way, thank you to those who share the tip about using outlook rules, in the meantime that help me fix the problem.

• Gabriela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great! So I won't have to check on every dataset if there were errors when refreshing every day!

• George Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like the new workspace experience will solve for this with the concept on "Contact List" The new contact list feature, available in workspace settings or under advanced when creating a workspace, allows you to specify which users receive notification about issues occurring in the workspace. By default, any user or group with the Admin role in the workspace is notified, but you can customize the list. Just be aware that users or groups listed in the contact list will be shown in UI experiences in the future to help users get help related to the workspace. This feature is especially useful if you want to track through a group alias issues occurring in various workspaces so you can work with the workspace Admins to address users’ needs in a timely manner.

Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-new-workspace-experience-general-availability-ga/

• Katsu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great idea. If we can receive notification mail to system administrator group address, it would be better.

• Yash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Power-BI came out 3.5 years ago and we are missing this one critical feature.
    We are using Outlook rules from past 2 years, but this is not a best way as we have different DL for different reports.

For Example Dev vs Prod

We do not want to send the email notification for business users for the development reports.

• maka commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

maybe you could define and use forwarding rules in MS Outlook for example (at least as a workaround)

• Rachel Lien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Should be able to specify a list of email addresses to notify through the On-Premises Gateway? That would be a great feature.

• Rachel Lien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Necessary when you have a team maintaining PBI, which is the case at many medium/large companies.

• Sandy Yu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this feature. Some of our power BI user like service accounts, which does not have real email. Then no email notification received when refresh data failure.

• StewartR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Indeed... I've created the bulk of the reports used by my organization. Now I want to go on leave, and I've had to create an auto-forwarding rule for refresh failure notifications so that they can be investigated by someone else if they occur. Not the most elegant solution - awesome as it is, Power BI definitely needs a little more team/enterprise capabilities.

Feedback and Knowledge Base

Ready to get started?

Try new features of Power BI today by signing up and learn more about our powerful suite of apps.